Username: Password:

Author Topic: Washburn Guitars Launches The Pilsen Idol XL  (Read 12140 times)

Offline WEBgUy

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.usmusiccorp.com
Washburn Guitars Launches The Pilsen Idol XL
« on: December 26, 2006, 02:38:18 PM »
Washburn Guitars Launches The Pilsen Idol XL At 2007 Winter NAMM

CHICAGO, IL—December 26, 2006—Washburn Guitars is set to premier the Pilsen Idol XL at this Winter’s 2007 NAMM show in Anaheim.

It is common knowledge that body mass leads to a fat sound and massive sustain. Unfortunately, with mass comes weight. Washburn solves this dilemma with the new Pilsen XL. Everything about it is heavy except the weight.

The Pilsen XL will feature a much thicker than normal mahogany body for superior tone and sustain and will feature a carved maple top, mahogany neck, an ebony fingerboard, a Tone Pros Bridge, and the Buzz Feiten Tuning Systemâ„¢.

The Pilsen XL will ship with a deluxe hardshell case.

Visit NAMM Booth 5244 to demo the Pilsen Idol XL. For more information on Washburn Guitars and the Pilsen XL please visit www.washburn.com.

Offline guitar gal

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 08:26:54 PM »
How does Washburn cut down on the weight? Does the body have hollow cavities like the Epi LP Ultra?

GG

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 09:35:53 PM »
It just keeps getting better! Washburn ROCKS!

Offline vheissu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 12:26:46 PM »
She's a beauty. How can you make it thicker but not increase the weight?

Ben

Offline WEBgUy

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.usmusiccorp.com
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 02:51:58 PM »
The customxl link will be up soon. Other models are slowly being added.

Offline EdMan57

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 05:22:04 AM »
Can you tell me what case fits the new,thicker Pilsen XL models?My WI70 shipped with a GB4 gigbag,but recently I tried to upgrade and buy either the GC40 or GC31R hardshell case...but both were too shallow to fit the guitar.I really want the added protection and security of a quality hardshell,but it looks like nothing currently offered fits the thicker XL models.Btw,I absolutely love my black WI70 Pilsen XL.Anything currently offered or in the works,Washburn guys?

[?]

Ed

My current stable of electric guitars include a USA Washburn WI70 Pilsen Idol,USA Washburn CT-3,USA Washburn MG-120,USA Washburn WMS Studio,USA Hamer Studio,American Fender Custom Strat and a USA Hamer P-90 Special.
My current guitar harem includes a USA Washburn WI70 Pilsen XL,Fender American Standard SE Tele,USA Hamer Studio,Fender American Standard SE Strat,Gibson Les Paul Standard,Fender American Series Strat,USA Hamer P-90 Special,ESP PB-500,Malden Keyser and a Yamaha Pacifica 612v.

Offline EdMan57

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 10:53:26 AM »
Through a bit of internet detective work,I found out that the proper case is the Washburn GC5 hardshell...now I just have to figure out how to get a GC5 for my WI70 Pilsen XL.

Ed

My current stable of electric guitars include a USA Washburn WI70 Pilsen Idol,USA Washburn CT-3,USA Washburn MG-120,USA Washburn WMS Studio,USA Hamer Studio,American Fender Custom Strat and a USA Hamer P-90 Special.
My current guitar harem includes a USA Washburn WI70 Pilsen XL,Fender American Standard SE Tele,USA Hamer Studio,Fender American Standard SE Strat,Gibson Les Paul Standard,Fender American Series Strat,USA Hamer P-90 Special,ESP PB-500,Malden Keyser and a Yamaha Pacifica 612v.

Offline madrocker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 01:03:31 PM »
I have the PI80 Pilsen Idol XL which included the Washburn hardshell case which fits the guitar like a glove. Where in the heck are you cats acquiring USA Washburns with gigbags???[:0] ...I'm sure Boogiestreet Guitars in Pittsburgh can hook you up as their speciality is commisioning custom built thick bodied USA Idols that all require the deeper fitting cases.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 06:08:23 PM by madrocker »

Offline EdMan57

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 03:17:47 AM »
Madrocker...I had a strange situation in where my local Washburn dealer was not able to get my pre-paid WI70 Pilsen XL from the factory,as Washburn had decided around the Winter NAMM to limit the sales of USA Washburn Custom Shop guitars to only 13 dealers [shades of Gibson?].So after some pleading and begging,another authorized Washburn USA dealer was gracious enough to sell my dealer a new WI70 to give to me.As I was most thankful just to finally get the guitar,I was able to forgive the exclusion of the proper hardshell case.But not to worry,my dealer ordered me a GC5 case from Washburn to complete the original deal.

Ed

My current stable of electric guitars include a USA Washburn WI70 Pilsen XL,USA Washburn CT-3,USA Washburn MG-120,USA Washburn WMS Studio,USA Hamer Studio,American Fender Custom Strat and a USA Hamer P-90 Special.

Offline EdMan57

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 05:23:56 PM »
Basically the same guitars as far as woods and electronics go,except that the PI80 has the flame maple top,body and neck binding and fancy fretboard inlays.XL designates the thicker body,deeper top carve and tone chambering [which Washburn does not indicate on the site].

Ed

My current stable of electric guitars include a USA Washburn WI70 Pilsen XL,USA Washburn CT-3,USA Washburn MG-120,USA Washburn WMS Studio,USA Hamer Studio,American Fender Custom Strat and a USA Hamer P-90 Special.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 05:24:52 PM by EdMan57 »

Offline EdMan57

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 01:28:24 AM »
A frustrating update on the quest for a hardshell case for my WI70 Pilsen XL.I recently arrived home from a three week vacation to find a message that my case had arrived from Washburn.Even though the case had a hand written tag with the word GC5 on it,the case was way too narrow for my WI70.I'm really getting frustrated with Washburn for the seemingly lack of concern with me getting the proper hardshell for my sweet guitar.First,a customer service rep said that I should have the GC40 case,then he said it should be the GC5.Please,somebody at Washburn go grab a Pilsen XL and try it in cases until there is a proper fit.Thank you for reading my rant.

Ed

« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 01:30:28 AM by EdMan57 »

Offline punkrock101

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2007, 06:03:38 PM »
really nice guitar

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 11:34:50 PM »
Yes she is, huh punkrock.

Offline petronio78

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/simplechoice
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 12:25:47 PM »
Hi, I would like to buy this new model, if there's somebody here that already own it could you please tell me your impression?
I have a LP Studio but in 6 years I've never felt well with this guitar and I prefer my second choice, Cort G290 with EMG.
Thanks
Pietro

Offline EdMan57

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 12:07:52 PM »
Hello Pietro,as you can see by my previous post,I have a WI70 Pilsen XL.I played at least a half dozen Gibson Les Paul Studios before buying my Pilsen XL.I feel that the Washburn is a better balanced,better sounding and easier playing guitar than the Studio.The Washburn's stock Seymour Duncan CC/'59 pickups,TonePros bridge and Grover 18-1 tuners add up to very much guitar for around $1,000 USD.Btw,I replaced the very good sounding bridge SH-11 Custom Custom with a Duncan SH-14 Custom 5 that gives me more of the tones that I hear in my head.I just love the fat Les Paul type tones,great upper fret access and superior neck/frets that the WI70 gives...especially compared to the several Gibsons Les Pauls that I played at the same price point.
Ed