Username: Password:

Author Topic: Old Washburn accoustic  (Read 8970 times)

Offline Pike

• View Profile
Old Washburn accoustic
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 08:12:45 PM »
Since you've altered it, it longer has a lot of value as a collector piece, but as long as you like it, that's all that really matters. I imagine that since it was originally meant for steel strings, it might sound pretty good with them on it as well. I'm wondering, though, what the luthier did as far as the bridge plate. Could you take a look under the bridge and see?

Offline Lunaray

• View Profile
    • http://www.rayspace.com
Old Washburn accoustic
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 08:28:40 PM »
I wish I would've kept the original bridge and tailpiece, but they're long gone now.  As far as playing it, I don't play it much anymore (I mostly play my Ovation and my Taylor classical), but I would never sell it, it's what I learned on and it's the guitar I seduced my ex-wife with! :-)
Ray

Antique Washburn Parlor, Model 5200

Music is best when it's played around a campfire!

Offline Fretless Johnny

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/bessitis
Old Washburn accoustic
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 08:51:18 PM »
One suggestion I've seen on vintage guitar sites is to take pictures of the interior bracing, which requires using a mirror inside the guitar, unless you can get it to a luthier.  

The type of bracing used can be helpful in determining the year this was made, or at least the era.

I really hope you can find out more. Thanks for sharing her with us.

Washburn WI64 Idol
Ibanez AJ200-EVE
Kaman Acoustic Bass
Palatino Upright
'71 Fretless P-Bass
'71 Fretted P-Bass
'06 Highway 1 P-Bass

Washburn RO1 Rover
Ibanez AJ200-EVE
Ibanez AF86
Kaman Acoustic Bass
Palatino Upright Bass
'71 Fretless P-Bass
'71 Fretted P-Bass
'06 Highway 1 P-Bass

ship of fools

Old Washburn accoustic
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 09:20:13 PM »
Wow its to bad you cant go and kick the guys ass around the block several times, as I mentioned to you one similiar was recently sold in an antiques guitar shop for just over $6000.US,it was all original with case and reciet and was in remarkable excellent shape for a guitar that old.Oh well keep it you never know someday you might find what you need to take it back to its original shape.louis...Well good luck with it Ray and welcome to the forum

Offline Dreadman

• View Profile
    • G-Tech Guitar Works
Old Washburn accoustic
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007, 09:24:22 PM »
I can't believe the guy at the guitar shop knew it was valuable and still altered it.

I can't tell you anything about it (other than to agree with the others that it's very special) but I'd sure love to see as many pictures of it as you'd be willing to take.

Dreadman
My Guitars
Dreadman

The easiest way to make people believe you are a good man is to be a good man.

Offline Lunaray

• View Profile
Old Washburn accoustic
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2007, 10:09:17 PM »
Well, I think that the guy in the music store was more concerned that I have a guitar that was playable, he was my guitar teacher; plus, it probably wasn't that valuable 40 years ago.  Though I do wish I would've known not to have it altered.  Now that I think about it, he should've offered to trade me any new guitar hanging on the wall for it, I probably would've jumped at the chance to get a new guitar, I was a poverty-stricken teenager!

As soon as I restring her, I'll take some higher resolution photos and post a link.

Ray
Ray

Offline keef

• View Profile
Old Washburn accoustic
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2007, 03:16:33 AM »
Just got a message from Pike.

This is a Washburn Style 5200, the cheapest model of the Washburn guitar line at the time, made around 1925, with a mahogany body.

Although the replacement bridge style was used on older Washburn guitars, the correct bridge on this guitar should be a 'smile bridge', shaped like a smiling mouth or a boat. There may be -or may not be- a third set of digits inside the body on the neck block.

Ebay values for these guitars would be around $400-800, depending on condition.

Offline Lunaray

• View Profile
Old Washburn accoustic
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2007, 04:52:38 AM »
Well, though I'm a little dissapointed in the estimated value, it doesn't really matter since I would never consider selling it!  The sentimental value far surpasses any kind of collector's value!  Thanks for the information, I'll get a mirror and see if I can locate another number somewhere inside.
Ray

Offline vheissu

• View Profile
Old Washburn accoustic
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2007, 01:45:08 PM »
I'm glad you got to the bottom of your query, and sorry I couldn't be of much assistance.

Ben

Offline just strum

• View Profile
Old Washburn accoustic
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2007, 06:12:53 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Lunaray
 plus, it probably wasn't that valuable 40 years ago.  Though I do wish I would've known not to have it altered.  
Ray

Ray,

Think about how many things we've owned over the years where we look back and wish we still had them in the original condition.

I use to have Beatle cards, pen, notebook, shoes and wig - man what I would give for that wig today[:D][:D][:D]

You still have a nice piece of history and it has personal value to you.

Mark

http://www.washburn.com/forum/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=6645

Offline Lunaray

• View Profile
Old Washburn accoustic
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2007, 10:00:07 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by keef

Just got a message from Pike.

This is a Washburn Style 5200, the cheapest model of the Washburn guitar line at the time, made around 1925, with a mahogany body.

Although the replacement bridge style was used on older Washburn guitars, the correct bridge on this guitar should be a 'smile bridge', shaped like a smiling mouth or a boat. There may be -or may not be- a third set of digits inside the body on the neck block.

Ebay values for these guitars would be around $400-800, depending on condition.

After thinking about what you've told me about my Washburn, I'm curious about this smile bridge you mentioned, do you mean that it was a floating bridge, with a tailpiece to anchor the strings?  That is what mine had when I first aquired her, but I've never seen a photo showing this kind of bridge/tailpiece configuration, all the photos I've seen of similar Washburns, show them with a bridge-pin type of bridge, no tailpiece!  Can you direct me to a photo of one that has the same two piece configuration as mine had originally?

Thanks,
Ray
Ray

Offline MarkD

• View Profile
Old Washburn accoustic
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2007, 01:19:56 AM »
Here is a model 5206 from 1935 - some similarities with the older 5200 pictured above. This one has the original smile bridge that Keef refers to - ebony with a bone saddle - which yours would have come with from the factory. Yours may have been modified with the floating bridge and tail piece added after the original lifted - a commom home remedy.

Mark  
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 01:22:41 AM by MarkD »

Offline Pike

• View Profile
Old Washburn accoustic
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2007, 03:19:43 AM »
Wow, that's nice Mark. I really like that old Washburn logo. Same one they used on the Beckmens, except my Beckmens duplicate that type style on the label also. Your oldie seems to have a Roman type style on the label. Could you post a close up of that? Also, is the logo foil, or does it look like gold leaf?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 03:39:22 AM by Pike »

Offline Lunaray

• View Profile
Old Washburn accoustic
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2007, 12:06:20 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by MarkD

Here is a model 5206 from 1935 - some similarities with the older 5200 pictured above. This one has the original smile bridge that Keef refers to - ebony with a bone saddle - which yours would have come with from the factory. Yours may have been modified with the floating bridge and tail piece added after the original lifted - a commom home remedy.

Mark

Thanks Mark!

I am definitely no expert but my gut feeling is that the floating bridge/tailpiece was the original configuration, I don't know why, it was so long ago, just a feeling!  I'll keep looking to find out more about my old geetar, it's kind of fun!

Here's a higher resolution photo of my Washburn!

« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 12:24:38 PM by Lunaray »
Ray

Offline MarkD

• View Profile
Old Washburn accoustic
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2007, 12:23:54 PM »
quote:
Wow, that's nice Mark. I really like that old Washburn logo. Same one they used on the Beckmens, except my Beckmens duplicate that type style on the label also. Your oldie seems to have a Roman type style on the label. Could you post a close up of that? Also, is the logo foil, or does it look like gold leaf?

Pike - it is indeed very similar to your Beckman era guitar as you state. Here is a close up of the peghead inlay  - and one of the inside paper label from another Washburn Tonk Bros era (1928-1941) guitar - the labels all look like this one - some have the model and serial number typed in, others have it ink stamped.  
Mark