Username: Password:

Author Topic: Saddle Experiments - Best material???  (Read 47987 times)

Offline spt

• View Profile
Saddle Experiments - Best material???
« Reply #210 on: February 03, 2007, 10:59:37 AM »
Unfortunately, no pics... I did this in the mid-80s and they were on guitars I sold.
As you would know, they are quite heavy and have enormous ring and sustain (not surprising). I found the overlap from all that sustain to be tiring on the ear unless you were looking for that droning effect. Note to note, the separation was good. Besides the point but worth mentioning: tarnish very quickly (either 925 or brass).
I don't know what else to say, but if you have specific questions, fire away...

Offline TREEROOT

• View Profile
    • http://tinyurl.com/yaqw5jm
« Reply #211 on: February 03, 2007, 01:34:45 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by spt

Unfortunately, no pics... I did this in the mid-80s and they were on guitars I sold.
As you would know, they are quite heavy and have enormous ring and sustain (not surprising). I found the overlap from all that sustain to be tiring on the ear unless you were looking for that droning effect. Note to note, the separation was good. Besides the point but worth mentioning: tarnish very quickly (either 925 or brass).
I don't know what else to say, but if you have specific questions, fire away...

That has answered most of my questions in one hit,  I shall enjoy making some and doing a few experiments! Perhaps a thin shim of something to dampen the vibration/resonance slightly? I'm sure it's all been done before but I will have a go anyway! Thanks!

TREEROOT

Offline spt

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 03, 2007, 01:57:10 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by TREEROOT
I'm sure it's all been done before but I will have a go anyway!

Exactly how I see it...

And like all before me, I'm sure, I have pretty much gone full circle to land back on bone... (door ajar for S&S)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 01:57:42 PM by spt »

Offline skip77

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/canarycreek
« Reply #213 on: February 04, 2007, 10:07:37 PM »
Spt - could you take a look at the string started by highmesa titled Bummer? I think you will know the answer to the problem he describes there which has to do with grover tuners and things popping out the key seal. None of my grover tuners ever have anything popping out from the black seal.
guitar challenged

Offline spt

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 05, 2007, 12:13:28 AM »
It was all figured out by the time I got there... Thanks for pointing it out, I hadn't checked the thread.

Offline newlywashed

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 05, 2007, 10:44:06 AM »
This has got to be close to a record for posts... shows there is apparantly NO interest in saddles - ha ha ha. Good work to all of you expiramenting here!

Offline TREEROOT

• View Profile
    • http://tinyurl.com/yaqw5jm
« Reply #216 on: February 07, 2007, 09:31:05 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by newlywashed

This has got to be close to a record for posts... shows there is apparantly NO interest in saddles - ha ha ha. Good work to all of you expiramenting here!

Wow! It has been quiet! LOL..There is always an interest in saddles...I've been re-arranging my workshop in preparation for the arrival of my furnace! Fire buckets, blankets and extinguishers, (I'm hoping they won't be needed, but better safe than sorry!). I will check the other topics to see what everyone has been up to.  

Greg, Mark, your saddles are on the way [;)], (The U.K. Postal service is a bit slow at times! [V])let me know when they get there!

TREEROOT [:D]

Offline 2ifbyC

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 13, 2007, 04:52:46 PM »
Well, I just finished reading the whole thread. I must say that ya'll have expanded my understanding of saddles and intonation.

Actually, you've done more than that. I'll now be looking for all the abused and mis-used gits in my area. I don't even want to think about all the chances I have passed up in the past.[V]

Thanx to all!