Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hmmm . . .another humidity problem?  (Read 1522 times)

Offline luvmyshiner

• View Profile
Hmmm . . .another humidity problem?
« on: February 09, 2007, 05:44:03 PM »
Y'all know I've been having a little buzzing problem on the 15th fret of the A string on my Cumberland.  All the recent threads on humidity problems got me thinking.  Before I try sanding down the fret (thanks for the tutorial on that Dread), I'm wondering if I should play it safe and try humidifying my guitar.  I've never had a humidity problem before, but in the summer the humidity stays between 40-50%.  I've noticed that this winter (or what passes for winter here[:)]) with the heater running, the humidity has dropped to 33-36%.  What do ya' think folks?

The girls:

Washburn D10S
Washburn Cumberland J28SDL
Washburn D46S12
Washburn OE30!
A beautiful nylon string classical sold in a garage sale!
ANOTHER PROUD MEMBER OF THE CUMBERLAND BRIGADE
ANOTHER PROUD MEMBER OF THE BIFOCAL BRIGADE
. . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . .  Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas  1902

Offline highmesa

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 05:52:53 PM »
I got rid of a cumberland a few years ago, because it is so dry here.  Don't know if it's the maple, but I had to keep that thing juiced or it would start buzzing.

Bill

Offline 1 Cal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 06:28:42 PM »
Shiner

I had the same problem.  [:(]

Now fixed [:D] due to printing out and following:
1.  Symptoms of a Dry Guitar and
2.  Using a Guitar Humidifier

(Thanks to Dreadman for pointing me in the right direction. [8D])

Hope that helps.

Cal
Washburn R308S

Offline SteveC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 06:39:52 PM »
Ey Shiner, you mention a heater running. What is a heater? Is it sort of like a Furnace?

Offline Dreadman

• View Profile
    • G-Tech Guitar Works
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 07:25:23 PM »
This is the time of year for humped necks (sounds like something they might do down in Austin, huh? [:D]) so it's possible although 35% isn't real bad. Since it's just the one note on the one fret though I think it's more likely that the guitar just has the signature Washburn fret job [:D]. You've lowered the action and dryness surely has lowered it more so any fret flaws will become apparent. I don't know if I mentioned it before but before you file the offending fret use a short straightedge to make sure that it's really a high 15th fret and not a low 14th.

Dreadman
My Guitars
Dreadman

The easiest way to make people believe you are a good man is to be a good man.

Offline Squint

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 08:27:21 PM »
I am learning that humidity can be a sloooooooooooooow killer. Think about it. It dries out, it re-hydrates, but juuuuuust a little less than it was... it dries out more... it rehydrates when the humidity goes up a bit, but again, juuuuust a little short of the last mark. Y'all know where I'm going here?

Shiner, get plastic sandwich bags, punch holes in it with a screwdriver,(watch your hand),and put a fully wrung out wet paper towel in it. Place in the headstock section of your case. THEN take a long Post-It or a thin piece of cardboard and place it over your strings at the place where the neck rests to keep the fuzzy case lining from inpeding the flow of air the way it normally would. (If you see string marks in the top of your case, you should do this), close it up and STAND it up in a safe area as moisture tends to fall.

The reason I now do the paper thing is that I noticed Prairie has responded far faster to the treatment because her case is not a Washburn fitted case. There is plenty of room for moisture to circulate.

THEN, e Rocket and order the Planet Waves humidifiers and get the kit ones with hygrometers for your more precious babies. The baggies will get the job started and the PW's will keep it going.

Almost EVERYONE here has used their heaters more this winter, but living in the southwest obviously presents it's own challenges. And of course, every guitar had to open up by losing a bit of moisture while it settles, especially less expensive ones with less cured wood, I guess...

Anyway, don't mess with this shiner. Git-R-Done! ...or else!

I plan on keeping my babies at 40%-70% from now on!

Serious.

AND.. I got excused during voi dire today by telling the judge Aside from the fact I work for lawyers and trust all of them about a far as I can throw them, I don't see anything that would make me not impartial, your honor...

See... the brilliance of this statement is that it leaves it to the judge or the attorneys to bring up the point that while it might not affect the defendant, it would definitely impair my judgement of anything the attorneys say. All I did then was agree. The judge actually asked me if I would want me on jury. You're absolutely correct, your honor. No, I wouldn't.

She thanked me for my honesty and said something about the choice of my profession to which I replied, Some of us don't always get a choice, your honor. She smiled in sympathy as she excused me.

Whew!
[8D]

FINALLY... ya'll go check out the latest version of Days at the site... It's Acousti-fied!

'88 Washburn J-6
'01 Washburn J28S12DL Cumberland 12-str.
'02 Washburn J28SCEDL Cumberland
'90 Washburn EA20YBR Festival
'83 Washburn D66SW Prairie Song Custom
'04 Washburn D104SCE  
'04 D'Aquisto CENTURA (violin burst)
'77 Electra Jazz Strad
'77 Electra Maple Pro (autographed by Bill Nelson)
'04 Aria PE SPL DLX SD
'82 Aria ProII Thor Sound 600
'05 Agile 2500-12
Fender P-bass

ANOTHER PROUD MEMBER OF THE CUMBERLAND BRIGADE!

www.soundclick.com/thecoastalcowboys
www.myspace.com/thecoastalcowboys
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 02:45:32 AM by Squint »
'93 Washburn J-9 Washington
'97 Washburn J-9 Washington  
'02 Washburn J28SCEDL Cumberland
'90 Washburn EA20YBR Festival
'83 Washburn D66SW Prairie Song Custom
'04 Washburn D104SCE  
'04 D'Aquisto CENTURA
'05 D'Aquisto CENTURA
(both violin burst)
'77 Electra X-410 Jazz Strad
'77 Electra Maple Pro (autographed by Bill Nelson)
'04 Aria PE SPL DLX SD
'82 Aria ProII Thor Sound 600
'05 Agile 2500-12
'06 Agile TC-630
Fender P-bass

ANOTHER PROUD MEMBER OF THE CUMBERLAND BRIGADE!

www.soundclick.com/thecoastalcowboys
www.myspace.com/thecoastalcowboys

Offline highmesa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 12:30:29 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by luvmyshiner

Hey highmesa, I know it's off topic, but you're in Santa Fe?  I grew up in Grants, NM, I think it's about an hour from you.

Yep, Santa Fe.  Probably 2 hours, unless you drive really, really fast.

Bill