Username: Password:

Author Topic: '77 D60SW Timber Ridge pics  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Pike

• View Profile
'77 D60SW Timber Ridge pics
« on: February 11, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »
Here's the '77 D60SW Timber Ridge pics.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 12:38:00 PM by Pike »

Offline spt

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 01:38:23 AM »
Very nice flame pattern on the Ovangkol back... Is the back as light as in the picture or did you have to push brightness and contrast to show it?

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 01:45:19 AM »
No, that's what came through my camera. Is it lighter than what you've seen on these?

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 09:01:29 AM »
Nice. I think your are pouring fuel on everyones GAS.

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 09:54:36 AM »
Beautiful D60 Pike.  For a 30 year old guitar she looks to be in terrific shape.  Heck, looks great for a nearly new guitar. [:)]

Congrats and thanks for the pics.

Offline spt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 10:15:29 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Pike

No, that's what came through my camera. Is it lighter than what you've seen on these?

Yes, it's a few shades lighter than on both of mine (one being much worse than the other, really buried under a really dark stain, almost rosewood)
That's what made them difficult to identify as Ovangkol at first. Thankfully the flame pattern gives them away. Lower grade of Ovangkol is really very much like a brownish, light rosewood, with regular stripes. The natural colour is more obvious inside the guitar, and the flame pattern in the wood even more so.
When I was researching for mine (since CS claimed it was rosewood), I found both Timber Ridges from this serie, clearly identified as Ovangkol by Washburn. That was the clincher for me because the wood is so recognizable and because it established clearly that it was one of the wood Washburn has previously used for their guitars.
Check the D-61 threads on the forum and you'll see a post by a guy claiming his is quilted rosewood. I cannot say for sure that it doesn't exist but, for the many years I've been interested in guitars and woods, I have NEVER seen quilted (or flame...) rosewood, on a guitar or from a wood supplier.

Side note: I know it's only a matter of taste, but I do like the triangular headstock very much. It is one of the only headstock shapes INSTANTLY recognizable as a Washburn (with the unforgettable hole-in-the-head Roman), with or without logo. I find the others try to look like something else...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 10:21:56 AM by spt »

Offline Toaster20

• Eat More Toast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 12:32:12 PM »
sexy