Username: Password:

Author Topic: Where was it made?  (Read 2866 times)

Offline Chaos Rex

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 612
    • View Profile
Where was it made?
« on: February 20, 2007, 11:45:04 AM »
So someone posted about a guitar they wanted. It wasn't a Washburn, or at least it didn't say Washburn on it. When I first saw it I recognized it as a model that Washburn sells (import) with some different features.

Then someone else mentioned it was the model I suspected it was, made in the same factory that the Washburn model was made (Samick).

So how do we tell which guitars come from where?

I know (or at least I think I know) that all the USA Washburns come from the USA customer shop in Chicago. (Is it really in Chicago or just outside of Chicago?)

I know that some Washburn guitars from Korea come from Samick (which is a manufacturer right?)

Do all of the Korean Washburn's come from Samick?

I have heard that some Washburns come from China as well. Anyone have any details on this?

It makes me a little sad that there are guitars out there with a Washburn name that aren't in any way really Washburns. I am obviously Brand loyal. I guess I need to take on a more global view of the guitar manufacturing world.

Founding Member of the Nuno Brigade
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 03:10:33 PM by Chaos Rex »
Founding Member of the Nuno Brigade
Davies Division
Maple on Mahogany Militia

My Guitars

Offline FlyMolo

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 127
    • View Profile
Where was it made?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 01:45:07 PM »
Well, I don't know who the korean plant is. Could be Samick, could be some other place.

The HB series hollow bodies from China (except the BSG Commissioned HBs, those were made in Korea).

Apparently there's also a new Indonesian plant up and running. In fact I believe the new Paul Stanley models are being made there. And possibly some of the other new imports as well. Though, again, there is an import Paul Stanley Preacher model commissioned by Boogie Street that is being done in the Korean facility.

That's as much as I know.

And as far as the X 50 vs Schecter C-1 Hell Raiser, there are definitely differences in the body when you look closely (look at the cut-aways). While that doesn't negate the possibility they are made in the same plant, they are different. And when you look across manufacturer, all the Super Strat style guitars look a lot a like. Just as all the Les Paul type guitars look a lot a like.

FlyMolo
------------------------
Washburn WI-68 Idol
Washburn BSG Fallen Idol
Washburn BSG Elite Idol
FlyMolo
------------------------
Washburn BSG Padauk Brutus Idol
Washburn WI-68 Idol (2)
Washburn WI-70 Pilsen
Washburn BSG Fallen Idol
Washburn BSG Elite Idol
Washburn BSG HB-45 White Lightning
Washburn PT3

Offline Deacon

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1691
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dirkesfamily.com
Where was it made?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 03:21:21 PM »
I don't know that much about the electrics, but in the acoustic world, the factory is encoded into the serial number on many models.  There is 1 or 2 letters prefixing the S/N.

SK = Samick factory in Korea
SI = Samick facory in Indonesia
G = Grand Reward factory in China

There are a couple of other designators that I have yet to learn about.
---
Jim Dirkes - aka Deacon
Charleston, SC
The Pack:
2006 Washburn J56SW Timbercraft
2004 Washburn D52SWCE Timbercraft
2005 Washburn D46SCE-12 Southwestern
2004 Washburn WD18SW Solid
2004 Washburn NV100C Classical
1996 Washburn D46S Cheyenne

The Rest:
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Classic
1981 Electra Phoenix X140N

Offline jellybatt

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
Where was it made?
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 01:00:03 PM »
anyone know anything about washburn nuno bettencourt EA22 Platinum Edition - mines serial 1674


 

Offline Pike

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8751
    • View Profile
Where was it made?
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 04:52:51 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by jellybatt

anyone know anything about washburn nuno bettencourt EA22 Platinum Edition - mines serial 1674




Welcome jellybatt, here's your info. How about some pics?

EA22 NUNO BETTENCOURT LIMITED EDITION
- single sharp cutaway folk style, spruce top, oval soundhole, bound body, five-stripe purfling, ninestripe
rosette, mahogany back/sides/neck, 21-fret bound rosewood fingerboard with pearl wings inlay,
rosewood bridge with white black dot pins, bound blackface peghead with screened signature/logo,
three-per-side chrome Grover tuners, acoustic bridge pickup, volume/tone control, 3-band EQ,
numbered commemorative metal plate inside body, available in Black finish, mfg. 1992-94.
Grading 100% Excellent Average
N/A $475 - 550 $300 - 350
Last MSR was $1,000.


 

Offline jellybatt

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
Where was it made?
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 02:33:05 PM »
just bought it yesterday not really knowing much about washburn guitars  

it was signed by the band extreme when they came on tour in the uk some years ago



The signatures are rubbing off a little thanks to the previous owner being a bit to enthusiastic with the polishing
 

Offline jellybatt

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
Where was it made?
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 02:34:42 PM »
i have no idea of what that guitar is worth but it is certainly different
 

Offline Pike

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8751
    • View Profile
Where was it made?
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 02:34:45 PM »
Cool jellybatt, nice score!
 

Offline jellybatt

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
Where was it made?
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 02:42:50 PM »
thanx  . . . im glad my parents managed 2 change my mind and get me to buy it
 

Offline buckethead

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 239
    • View Profile
Where was it made?
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 06:14:40 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Chaos Rex



I know (or at least I think I know) that all the USA Washburns come from the USA customer shop in Chicago. (Is it really in Chicago or just outside of Chicago?)









its in a north suburb about 2 hours noth of chicago. the town is mundelein. the place is cool they have signiture guitars on display in the lobby =) its a 5 min walk from my house =)

the guitars i own:

Linus - B.C. Rich warlock
red

Martha - Washburn RB-2502
green
the guitars:
B.C. Rich warlock
Washburn RB-2502
2 strat knock off's
Ibanez AEB-30

the amps:
Peavey Rage 158
Fender Rumble 100

Offline jwalter

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 44
    • View Profile
Where was it made?
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 02:48:31 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Pike: Welcome jellybatt, here's your info. How about some pics?

EA22 NUNO BETTENCOURT LIMITED EDITION
- single sharp cutaway folk style, spruce top, oval soundhole, bound body, five-stripe purfling, ninestripe
rosette, mahogany back/sides/neck, 21-fret bound rosewood fingerboard with pearl wings inlay,
rosewood bridge with white black dot pins, bound blackface peghead with screened signature/logo,
three-per-side chrome Grover tuners, acoustic bridge pickup, volume/tone control, 3-band EQ,
numbered commemorative metal plate inside body, available in Black finish, mfg. 1992-94.
Grading 100% Excellent Average
N/A $475 - 550 $300 - 350
Last MSR was $1,000.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 03:37:03 AM by jwalter »
 

Offline magoo99

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3576
    • View Profile
Where was it made?
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 12:55:25 PM »
WTF??????????
 

Offline jellybatt

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
Where was it made?
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 08:53:16 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by jellybatt

just bought it yesterday not really knowing much about washburn guitars  

it was signed by the band extreme when they came on tour in the uk some years ago



The signatures are rubbing off a little thanks to the previous owner being a bit to enthusiastic with the polishing

 

Offline jellybatt

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
Where was it made?
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 08:56:23 AM »
if anyone would like a washburn EA22 platinum edition with extreme signature it will be up on ebay soon. It's the same as the one I took the pictures off.