Username: Password:

Author Topic: Do you record @ home? What do you use?  (Read 6232 times)

Offline Steve Azulay

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/steveazulay
Do you record @ home? What do you use?
« on: March 20, 2007, 01:43:42 AM »
I record @ home myself. I use.....

1. Cubase Le with Lexicon interface
2. M-Audio DX4 studiophile monitors
3. E-MU Xboard25 midi controller
4. 16 channel EV Tapco mixer
5. Audio Technica DR-VX1 mic
6. Colby dual volume control headphones
7. emachine W3502 XP  (PC)
8. Shector 5 string diamond series bass
9. My wife for her beautiful singing
10. I thank God for all of his blessings and talents that he has blessed me with.  
     Feel free to coment and please list what you use. [:D]
Washburn ea9 black

Offline razztazz

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 11:56:33 AM »
Audio interface
Dynamic mic
Mic stand
Acoustic guitar pick-up
Washburn 6 string acoustic
Audacity software
rocky

Offline Steve Azulay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 03:00:32 PM »
WOW! You have alot of cool stuff going on. I listened to to your song 8804 and I like the percussion in it.There is a lead guitar part about 3:51 into the song...is that you Wingsdad? I love the array of guitars and I must say you like like Billy Bob Thornton in your pic with that hat and shades. I too play percussion. I play for my church on Sunday mornings and sing back up. I switch to guitar and Lead music on Sunday,Wednesday,and Thursday nights. If you would like to hear my music click on my profile and then click on myspace.com link. I really enjoyed your music and especially like the way you ended it with the shaker.[8D]
Washburn ea9 black

Offline jmarmck

• View Profile
    • http://www.soundclick.com/martymckimmey
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 09:53:56 PM »
Can anyone join in?

I would like a little feed back on some of my stuff to see how I can improve.

Several Guitars-ask and i will tell.

Strickly digital.
-Edirol UA-101 Ana 2 Dig USB cover but i only use the linein. Still using Windows 2k.
-Line in to Creative SB Audigy 2 sound card. I think it is only 16 bit but handles up to 96000 mHz Sampling
-Cakewalk Sonar LE normally at 24 bit and up to 88000 mHz sampling.
Speakers are the best i could get from Logetch at the time, 5.1 system.
All digital data is recorded and stored as WAVs on a USB 250 gig external harddrive.

I am thining about building a new Digital Audio Workstation with super quiet fans and cases. I have a grasp on the MOB and CPU and graphics but i am not sure about the sound card. I would like to have at least 24 bit and 196000 mHz sampling. This is where I need help.

I recently started posting some of my music on www.soundclick.com under the account and band name of Marty McKimmey and user jmarmck. Can you id the Washburn? Can you tell which songs use the Prairie Song Custom 12 string and which one uses the Alvarez PJ-85SC/12? Hint? It aint difficult. Just listen.

Marty
Washburn D66SW/12 &
More than I care to list.

Offline Steve Azulay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 02:02:13 PM »
Wingsdad, since we dont live that far from eachother maybe we can get together and jam/record.Let me know what ya think.Jmarmck, I clicked on your link but got lost from there...any suggestions on how to find your music easier (its just that I am lame lol). Muse and razztazz, are you using Mac or PC? [8D]
Washburn ea9 black

ship of fools

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 02:13:09 PM »
Steve click on soundclick,click acoustic music,hit the M's, page 5 of the M's you will find Marty Mc/ he has 8 song listed,very nice Marty I really liked Lesson Learned the others were good also,but thats my Fav.louis

Millenium Brigade
Rover Brigade
Another WAGJammer
Timbercraft Brigade J52SW
and other great sounding and playing guitars

Offline jmarmck

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 09:14:58 PM »
Thanks SoF (Ship of Fools). Good to get a complement! I am suprised you chose Lessons Learned. I thought it was the weakest. It was inspired by a friend/boss/mentor. It was composed and recorded in a very short time (couple hours) in three tracks in 9 takes. My favorite is Blue Again. That 12 string rythm is my Washburn Prairie Song Custom. Maybe I ought to post the version with the 12 string lead.

On another note, I wish I understood the difference between what I am using an what others are using. I dont know how to compare Sonar to M-box or pre-amps/mixing boards with the Edirol USB device. I would like to improve my studio.
Washburn D66SW/12 &

Offline Steve Azulay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 12:04:40 PM »
Jmarmck, your music is very soothing to the soul. You should market a few of them in the meditation section. Nicely done! Everyone should check out jmarmck's material that reads this.[8D]
Washburn ea9 black

Offline jmarmck

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 03:02:49 PM »
Thanks Steve. I reached my goal. Good advice on then genra! I guess i need to move some things around a bit. I am having trouble getting the word out. I dont want to use this forum for that either but I could really use some suggestions to make things better. Can you buy talent?

Can anyone tell me how some of Washburns electrics compare to say a strat or other semi-hollow bodies. Isnt it the pickups that make the difference? Sorry for the stupid question.
Washburn D66SW/12 &

Offline Iceaxe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 03:50:34 PM »
wingsdad --

Do you listen to/jam with a lot of Bob James/Larry Carlton/Lee Ritenour-type stuff?  Reason I ask, 8804 sounds like it'd fit right into the GRP catalogue or on a Fourplay album.

Nicely done -- very nice indeed!

'Berg
I feel a GAS attack coming on . . .

Offline Miss Squirrel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 08:50:48 PM »
I am totally new at this recording thing and I won't even bug you with the shareware I use!!! It's okay for demos...and that's it. Just a question: what is the best way to record your guitar sound? Friends tell me different things: directly plugged into the PC, or mic sitting on the amp, or mic right in front of the amp. One mic, two mics? I have tried everything and I still don't find I get a 3D sound. Have any suggestions (cheap ones?)

Ciao!
Miss Squirrel

Offline jmarmck

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 10:08:08 PM »
Actually you can do all of the above. Which one is best depend on how satisfied you are with the sound. I have use all those methods and then some.

My first recordings were with a onboard sound card with a line in. I ran my acoustic into an old cassette deck locked into record. I used a freeware called Kristal Audio Engine out of germany. version 1.1 was free. you can run up to 16 tracks and it uses VST pluggins. The limitation here was the crappy quality of the onboard sound card. I replaced it with a better quality card (Creative SB Audigy 2) that allowed 24 bit recording. Then I added a Edirol UA-101 USB converter. It came with Sonar LE. I can't use the USB (still using W2k) but line in works well. I am pretty pleased with it now but need to upgrade the computer. A sample can be heard at http://www.soundclick.com/martymckimmey. I know shameless plug but you get an example of the quality.

So you can use an old tape deck and run line out to the audio line in. In place of a tape deck you can use a cheap mixing board like a Pevy RC200 or a more expensive analog to digital coverter like the UA-101 or its less expensive cousin.

Be aware that if you are playing electric and are coloring your sound using an amp you will need to run the amp output into the audio line in. You can use the monitor or line out from the amp or mic the amp. I have only done this once or twice but I have been told to place the mice just to the right and slightly below the speaker center. Some mics require a preamp. The mixing board will fix that. If your amp has a monitor out use that.

Good Luck.
Washburn D66SW/12 &

Offline Miss Squirrel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 08:46:22 PM »
Thanks Marty, Cool stuff your music!

So far, I have been using N-Tracks, from Italy. It used to be a shareware but when I changed computer, it did not work anymore and I had to pay 100$ (Can) to get the pro version. I can easily get 30 tracks in there (bur who would want to?)

I only own a cheap 100$ Sony mic and I have been placing it in from on my amp, very close, pretty much in the centre. I too have heard to place the mic below the speaker center. I will definitely try this next time. I have also at Creative SB card, no converter.

I have not recorded tons, but this summer I would like to get a demo, most likely just for fun and perhaps just a couple local gigs. Hey, one can dream!

Thanks for the info.

Offline jmarmck

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 09:13:27 PM »
I was talking to a guy that was talking about 60 tracks! I can't imagine what they all are.

Yes one can dream. I have no interest in stages and live. Can't do that with what I play. I would need at least two of me. Now licensing is another story.

You dont need the converter. I used the tape deck because I needed a signal boost for a very weak passive acoustic pickup (another brand). The mixing board acts as a mic preamp. I have heard that M-audio cards have a preamp built in but not sure about that. But that may not be necessary if your mic works now. You will if you get a more expenisve mic.

You might try adding some reverb to the guitar track. That usually gives a more open air sound. Just dont over do it. Not sure how your software works reverb but mine has several settings but i normally get what I want from the wet, dry, and decay settings. Just depends on what you want. I prefer a light wide open sound (as you could tell by my music). I have different settings for different parts like lead and back. It also helps to use the EQ settins to brighten up the guitar. All this is to counter a mic shortcoming on the high frequencies. If you have alot of spikes in volume you can either turn down the output (normally not a good thing) or use envelopes of gain and volumn and turn down just the note that spikes. All this is not hard just have to learn it.

Good luck.  

Crap this net is really slow today.
Washburn D66SW/12 &

Offline jmarmck

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 08:54:17 AM »
Hey Saint. I just checked out Moonshine Lullabye. Makes me which I were young again. Sounds great. Is that another brand guitar? How do you like the servers site? Hmm shades of Hendrix.
Washburn D66SW/12 &