Username: Password:

Author Topic: Les Paul Killer  (Read 13038 times)

Offline magnido45

• View Profile
Les Paul Killer
« on: April 04, 2007, 11:42:06 AM »
Hi All,

Which Washburn electric guitar is comparable to or better than a Gibson Les Paul for under a $1000.00?  I gotta get such a guitar!!!  Please help!!!

Offline shaulin

• View Profile
Les Paul Killer
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 12:00:28 PM »
The Pilsen Idol will give the lester a run for it's money
it's 995$ the last time I checked
'08 Washburn WM526 (White)
'08 Washburn WM526 (Ferrari Red)
'09 Washburn WI568
'09 Washburn WI590

Offline vangoghsear

• View Profile
Les Paul Killer
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 02:29:37 PM »
I've got a WI67 that can rival a Les Paul for $485.00.  Quilted maple top, Seymore Duncan American made pickups, Grover tuners, Buzz Fieten system.  The only shortcoming is the Koreon electronics, get those changed out for about a $100.00 and you have a great rival for a Gibson.
Idol WI67PROQ

Offline woodstock1

• View Profile
Les Paul Killer
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 02:57:55 PM »
......best of luck in your search.....i would guarantee that current washburn quality is top-notch.....just make sure you like the neck profile.....[current gibson quality control is not what it was in the sixties......and prices are sky-high....although there are a few good new gibsons at dealers, for their current prices the whole lot should be perfect.....]
jgj

Offline Hawaii69

• View Profile
Les Paul Killer
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 05:33:39 PM »
Well, I guess comparable or better is a relative term.  Since most Les Pauls worth having
are going to cost you at least $1300.00, and usually much more, you can get a much better
Washburn Idol for under $1000.00 than you can any type of Les Paul for the money.

A $700.00 Korean made Washburn Wi66 might not rival a $3000.00 Les Paul supreme,
but I think it will beat the hell out of an Epiphone Les Paul in the same price
range.  

I also think you can get a far better U.S.A made Washburn Idol (Pilsen, Wi68)
for $1300.00-$1500.00 than any Gibson Les Paul you're going to find in that
price range, in terms of finsih, features, etc.

If you're in love with the specific look and sound of high end Gibson LP, then the
Washburns may not do it for you, but if you're looking for a great LP style guitar
without having to spend over $2000 for a good one, then the Idols may be
for you.

My Guitars:
Quilt Blue WI66Pro
Alvarez RD20S

Offline XKnight

• View Profile
Les Paul Killer
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 09:44:51 PM »
If you don't mind doing some searching and buying a used guitar, the USA Custom Shop CT and P models are definitely better than many LP's and can be had for well under $1000.  For instance, I just bought a 1998 CT-4 off Ebay for $699. It arrived today and is a wonderful guitar. Besides the typical quality features you'd expect, it also has an Ebony fretboard and locking Schaller tuners. I have a 1995 Gibson LP Studio which is also a great guitar, but the Washburn is far superior in my opinion.

Here's a shot of my CT-4.

Offline soccerdad

• View Profile
Les Paul Killer
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 06:27:09 AM »
I'd look at the Pilsen; actually I did. I've A/B'd my pilsen (PI70-trans red-last years model-last years price-$799) against my LP Slash signature and my LP Custom at band practice on a few occasions. I keep wanting the LP to win out(they werent cheap) but I keep going back to the pilsen. I also like the idea of modding something that isn't as huge of an investment. The import idols arent as thick and may not pull off the LP tone as well. Despite the width, my idol is still lighter than my LP custom (by far) and it's probably just a smidge heavier than my Slash, but it's close.

I've completely rewired it, changed pickups, tuners, but it was fine stock. Modding is part of the hobby for me. I added a phase switch and tonestyler as well. It's the only guitar I take out of the house now.

Offline chrisadam

• View Profile
    • http://yahoo.com
Les Paul Killer
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 07:15:32 AM »
As an Owner of both a $2000 Les Paul and 4 different electric Washburns, for far less money, I can also attest to the fact that you should have no hard time in finding something that will 'stand up' with/to a 'paul'. Especially if you don't mind purchasing used. The Washburn Quality is legendary for good reason, as is their value pricing. Be aware however, that for some strange twist of fate, Washburn doesn't tend to hold their value as does the gibson, thus the extremely good deals available on a high quality used Washburn.
I've owned a P4 and currently own an upgraded PII, both stand right up with the paul. I now also own a WI67 Pro Idol that also, with the exception of the VCC, which I'm not crazy about, stands up with my Paul, otherwise. and the latest addition to my Washburn's is a 1993 SB 80 Wing Series, (I'll try and add in a pic of the '80' to give you an idea of it aesthetically,) which I LOVE and sometimes kills my Paul in terms of versatility; it's coil-tapped. these were all had on ebay from reputable sellers. lastly, if you just don't have the time , luck, or patience to do the ebay thing there's ALWAYS Boogie Street Guitars both on their own site AND ebay that have more than one high end idol for you in your price range. Personally, I'd shoot (ebay) for one of the CT or P series guitars that are talked about in this thread. they are just such a fantastic guitar. anyway, here, hopefully is a pic of my SB 80, $405 on ebay shipped w/ ohsc.

the 'kids':
Wshbrn'93 SB 80
stock Eliminator pup's
Wshbrn'97 PII
SD 59 nck, Custm 5 brdge
Wshbrn'04 WI67 Pro
SD 59 nck, CstmCstm brdg
Wshbrn'06 WI64 Brdsey Rd
Stock Pup's
Wshbrn'06 CD36S
Wshbrn'06 D10S

Dean'06 Hardtail Select
SD Jazz nck, JB bridge
Gregg Bennett'02 SST
Samick Piezo pickup
Epi'05 Les Paul Custm
Gibsn Classic 57's nk,br
Epi'06 SJ200
Gibson'00 Les Paul Clssc
stock ceramic pup's
the 'kids':
Wshbrn'93 SB 80
stock Eliminator pup's
Wshbrn'97 PII
SD 59 nck, Custm 5 brdge
Wshbrn'04 WI67 Pro
SD 59 nck, CstmCstm brdg
Wshbrn'06 WI64 Brdsey Rd
Stock Pup's
Wshbrn WI62 tobacco brst
stock Pup's
Wshbrn'06 CD36S
Wshbrn'06 D10S

Dean'06 Hardtail Select
SD Jazz nck, JB bridge
Gregg Bennett'02 SST
Samick Piezo pickup
Epi'05 Les Paul Custm
Gibsn Classic 57's nk,br
Epi'06 SJ200
Gibson'00 Les Paul Clssc
stock ceramic pup's

Offline chrisadam

• View Profile
    • http://yahoo.com
Les Paul Killer
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 10:18:27 AM »
then again this Pilsen that blackstrat was nice enough to post (thread right now is sitting just a few from the top of the topic heading) could be just what the doctor ordered! (hell of a deal, too)... sure is pretty and it's coil-tapped as well!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Washburn-Made-in-USA-Pilsen-Idol-Ruby-Red-Guitar_W0QQitemZ320100239211QQihZ011QQcategoryZ33048QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

chrisadam

the 'kids':
Wshbrn'93 SB 80
stock Eliminator pup's
Wshbrn'97 PII
SD 59 nck, Custm 5 brdge
Wshbrn'04 WI67 Pro
SD 59 nck, CstmCstm brdg
Wshbrn'06 WI64 Brdsey Rd
Stock Pup's
Wshbrn'06 CD36S
Wshbrn'06 D10S

Dean'06 Hardtail Select
SD Jazz nck, JB bridge
Gregg Bennett'02 SST
Samick Piezo pickup
Epi'05 Les Paul Custm
Gibsn Classic 57's nk,br
Epi'06 SJ200
Gibson'00 Les Paul Clssc
stock ceramic pup's
the 'kids':
Wshbrn'93 SB 80
stock Eliminator pup's
Wshbrn'97 PII
SD 59 nck, Custm 5 brdge
Wshbrn'04 WI67 Pro
SD 59 nck, CstmCstm brdg
Wshbrn'06 WI64 Brdsey Rd
Stock Pup's
Wshbrn WI62 tobacco brst
stock Pup's
Wshbrn'06 CD36S
Wshbrn'06 D10S

Dean'06 Hardtail Select
SD Jazz nck, JB bridge
Gregg Bennett'02 SST
Samick Piezo pickup
Epi'05 Les Paul Custm
Gibsn Classic 57's nk,br
Epi'06 SJ200
Gibson'00 Les Paul Clssc
stock ceramic pup's

Offline magnido45

• View Profile
Les Paul Killer
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 11:06:24 AM »
Hi All, Thanks so much for enlighting me with all your wisdom and experience!!!  You guys rock (literally)!!!  If anyone else is replying, please continue to do so...I'll be jammin' with a Washburn in no time!!!

Offline soccerdad

• View Profile
Les Paul Killer
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 01:11:56 PM »
Just got back from GC in Highland Park Illinois. They still have a used ruby red PI70 for $599 used. That is A LOT of guitar for the cash. If I didnt have taxes eating my checkbook at the moment...

Offline woodstock1

• View Profile
Les Paul Killer
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 10:30:20 AM »
.....just a bit more on contemporary gibson quality.......check each axe individually.......the are fine examples......but, sadly, too many gibsons leave the factory with finish blemishes....especially near the fretboard......also fret edges on many are not properly filed......for $2000 plus, as a consumer, you should expect excellence......
jgj

Offline FlyMolo

• View Profile
Les Paul Killer
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 03:14:46 PM »
As some mentioned, you can get a WI-70 Pilsen for a grand. No frills to it (comparible to the LP Studio), but it's got a nice thick body, and the neck is thicker than both the WI-68 and the WI-66. It's not as fat as a 50's style LP, but fatter than the 60's neck. Very comfortable to play.

Now the WI-68 is a fine, fine guitar. It's a little hard to directly compare to the LP, because it's a thinner bodied guitar, so not quite as much of that thick tone you expect from an LP. But, that's not to say it's not as good of a guitar. It plays SOOOO well, stays right next to your body, and sounds great.

In the $1000 buck range, you can also check out BSG Custom Import idols. They're made in the Korean facility, but they've got all US hardware and electronics. The two current ones (Billy Club & Elite) both have Active EMG pickups, so if that's not your thing, you can wait a while until the Brutus import Idol comes in. That will have passive humbuckers, a gorgeous deep-carve top, I believe a 7-ply binding on the body as well. No exact date on its arrival yet, but it'll be worth the wait. Oh, and all the BSG custom imports have a 2 mahogany body + maple cap, so they're nice and thick.

You can check them out at www.boogiestreet.com.

FlyMolo
------------------------
Washburn WI-68 Idol (2)
Washburn WI-70 Pilsen
Washburn BSG Fallen Idol
Washburn BSG Elite Idol
Washburn BSG HB-45 White Lightning
Washburn PT3
FlyMolo
------------------------
Washburn BSG Padauk Brutus Idol
Washburn WI-68 Idol (2)
Washburn WI-70 Pilsen
Washburn BSG Fallen Idol
Washburn BSG Elite Idol
Washburn BSG HB-45 White Lightning
Washburn PT3

Offline blackstrat

• View Profile
Les Paul Killer
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 06:46:14 PM »
Here you are my man.  And it has the new deep carve as well, just like the USA Evil Twin.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Washburn-WI70-Pilsen-XL-Custom-Shop-Idol_W0QQitemZ280103922590QQihZ018QQcategoryZ33048QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline magnido45

• View Profile
Les Paul Killer
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 07:39:14 PM »
Wow...Good looking out, blackstrat...that's one beaut!!!  3 days and 21 hours left and counting...
Hey guys, What's the difference between a Pilsen WI70 and a Pilsen WI70 XL? And is there a huge difference in sound between an WI70 and a WI66PRO?  I know there's a difference in price?  As you can tell, I'm narrowing my choices...I like the bound fingerboard and headstock look...it's that $300-$400 hundred dollar difference that's postponing me from hitting the buy button!!!