Username: Password:

Author Topic: Force 4 bridge cutting my strings?  (Read 1251 times)

Offline -Alex-

• View Profile
Force 4 bridge cutting my strings?
« on: May 07, 2007, 10:42:24 PM »
I bought Elixer strings for my Force 4 about a month ago, when i broke one of the stock strings. I love the tone, but just a few days ago my A string snapped, which was weird considering these are nice strings that are supposed to last longer than normal ones, and you'd think it would be the high, thin strings... anyway, i pulled the string off, and noticed a little burr in the bridge where the string meets it that wasn't there when i put the string on (which i filed down). Is it possible that the string cut into the bridge, which became sharp and in turn cut through my string? Just a few minutes ago this same thing happend to my G string, and the same type of sharp metal was no in the bridge. I think the original strings were cloth-wound at the base of the string, but my guitar shop doesn't have any cloth-wounds that long enough to reach to the bridge. Would this solve it? Is this even what's going on? Has this happened to anyone else?

Offline muse_679

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/danguitarmuisc
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 05:39:31 PM »
Do you have any pics? I haven't seen this kinda thing before, but from what it sounds like it could be the bridge. what is the angle like out of the bridge, making the string bend at a sharp angle doesn't help.
muse_679

Offline -Alex-

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 11:19:47 PM »
After posting this I think I found a solution, which is why I didn't follow up, but I thought I'd share in case anyone else has this problem. First off, a guitarist I know says he's heard of this problem with basses, so that was good news. The angle at the bridge is pretty extreme, but since my old cloth-wounds held up and I like the action as it is, I left it. What I did do was file down all the burrs, and cut up a little strip of cloth to fit under the strings on the bridge. So far so good, but only time will tell... it's been about 15 days though and the last two breaks were within days of each other, so for the moment it seems to be working. The cloth doesn't seem to mess with my sustain or tone, at least not any way i can hear, so it seems to be a ghetto (temporary?) solution. I'll see how it goes.