Username: Password:

Author Topic: slap tips please  (Read 1657 times)

Offline Abraxxus

• View Profile
slap tips please
« on: April 22, 2004, 10:03:35 PM »
Hey anyone got any tips on playin slap? i really need to learn because the band is tryin to learn a new song and im holding them back.

thanks

Offline clutch

• View Profile
slap tips please
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2004, 03:00:37 PM »
one thing i found,(im just learning slap aswell) is that super soft strings are best,i use the side of my thumb against the end of the fretboard,aswell as my other fingers.everybody to their own i guess. best get other opinions though.hope it helps

clutch
Longscale?,or Short?

Offline Abraxxus

• View Profile
slap tips please
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2004, 09:59:33 PM »
thanks dude that helps alot. the soft strings really make a difference

Offline clutch

• View Profile
slap tips please
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2004, 03:50:54 PM »
yeah i know.most gigs we do i have hard strings on but i love the super softs.d'darios are some of the best ive played with.hope it helps.oregon your from?far from me so in little ireland.ha ha

clutch
Longscale?,or Short?

Offline Abraxxus

• View Profile
slap tips please
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2004, 10:42:41 PM »
yea dude I use hard strings they usually work pretty good. little Ireland huh? thats a way out there.

Offline Mahutma

• View Profile
slap tips please
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 12:02:40 PM »
Soft strings never tried those, ive used Ernie ball slinkies, and Dean markley BLue steels, want to give me any companies of Soft strings ide like to give em a shot, also do they come in flat wound? i want to try those out as well. Thankee

Offline clutch

• View Profile
slap tips please
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2004, 03:09:58 PM »
soft strings,,,em im using D'Addario super soft xl's.find they are bast and give a great sound for all types of music.hope this helps. by the way,,which do you think is better short scale or long scale basses?

clutch
Longscale?,or Short?

Offline clutch

• View Profile
slap tips please
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2004, 03:11:18 PM »
by the way,im not sure if they come in flat wound,,never tried those.must keep a lookout.....check some places in cork for them i suppose

clutch
Longscale?,or Short?

Offline clutch

• View Profile
slap tips please
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2004, 03:41:19 PM »
try warwick softs aswell bud.did the bit of info give ya any help at all?

clutch
Longscale?,or Short?

Offline Fourstring

• View Profile
    • http://groups.msn.com/TheManyFacetsofPoindexter
slap tips please
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2004, 09:42:11 AM »
I use light strings, either rotosound RS 66 LB (35- 90) or GHS Boomers (30-90).   I get a bright tone with minimum effort but I still get a good bottom end too.  What kind of neck do you have?  What kind of pickups are you using too?  Try this stock setting on your amp, roll off the mids and push up the lows and the highs.  See if that help you out.    Look at the amps that the slappers use too.  Harke aluminum 10's...that's all bright high end!  You may already be playing the right licks, but your sonic mix is hiding your tone.  I've found that Jazz or soap bar pickup work better for slapping, but don't be afraid to experiment or let my experiences limit you either.
   As for technique, I slap with my thumb and the inner first digit of my middle finger(the digit just after the nail) and the same inner nuckle of my fourth finger if I want to do chords.  I really just rub the nuckles against the strings, but after 23 years it sounds like I'm really plucking the strings.  The nuckles never get under the strings so I keep my speed and dexterity.  talk to your drummer and get some rudiment exercises and try to do triplets and parididdles.  

what do I think about when i play?  Left finger, right finger, left finger, thumb...Doh!

http://www.freetimes.com/index.php?module=FormExpress&func=display_form&form_id=11

GO here to vote for me as Best Bassist in the Cleveland Free Times Music Awards!!!