Username: Password:

Author Topic: newbie fretless question  (Read 1868 times)

Offline xDigzx

• View Profile
newbie fretless question
« on: May 29, 2007, 10:50:39 PM »
hello i have a fretless xb 200. since this is my first bass it's a little hard to learn without frets. is there a way to measure where the lines would be and stick some tape or something on the fretboard? if so could you give me the length of the fret spaces? thanks.

Offline Le Basseur

• View Profile
    • http://http://www.myspace.com/trilogyjazz
newbie fretless question
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 12:11:32 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by xDigzx

it's a little hard to learn without frets.

I bet![:)]
If you're a beginner,you'd should get a fretted bass and use it exclusively until you'd develop a corect & solid left hand tehnique (proper position,neck geometry,finger articulation,note fingering and muscle memory).THEN,jump at the fretless and study SLOWLY with the help of a chord succession on a keyboard,for good intonation.
I don't want to rain on your parade,but this is a process that'll take years.

quote:
Originally posted by xDigzx

is there a way to measure where the lines would be and stick some tape or something on the fretboard? if so could you give me the length of the fret spaces?

Wrong approach![:D]
Any object on a fretless fingerboard makes an indesirable noise instead of a clean note.There are some decals (fingerboard measures with fret distances) on the 'net but they're for tech purposes (luthiers) only.Also,there are a great number of lined fretless basses (instead of frets,you have flat markings across the fingerboard) or fretless necks with pearl dots on the fingerboard's side but,believe me,these are just for vague orientation.For a proper intonation,years of study and a trained ear cannot be compensated with eye orientation.
Good luck!
Regards,

You're smart enough not to consider me a fool
Ol' Romanian proverb
I can't give you any brains,but I can give you a DIPLOMA!
(Wizard of Oz talking to the Tin Man)
You're smart enough not to consider me a fool
Ol' Romanian proverb

Offline xDigzx

• View Profile
newbie fretless question
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 09:07:09 PM »
maybe i'll see if i can get a fretted replacement neck. thanks for your help.[8D]

Offline buckethead

• View Profile
newbie fretless question
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 12:06:00 PM »
ive seen frettless necks with the frett lines in it.

the guitars:
B.C. Rich warlock
Washburn RB-2502

the amps:
Peavey Rage 158
Fender Rumble 100
the guitars:
B.C. Rich warlock
Washburn RB-2502
2 strat knock off's
Ibanez AEB-30

the amps:
Peavey Rage 158
Fender Rumble 100

Offline harrylado

• View Profile
newbie fretless question
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 08:38:54 AM »
When I was about 24 I had a unlined fretless neck put on my fender Jazz and guess what, I couldn't play it. I was a reasonable bass player but I couldn't play an unlined bass neck.[xx(] I never thought about getting a lined one and no one advised me that I should. Anyway after a while I stopped playing altogether and that bass disappeared into some one elses bedroom etc. A few years later I bought a Washburn 5 string and started getting into it again. I really enjoyed it. I got rid of the low B and put on a high C, much better, much more fun. I even started writing some of my own songs with some nice melody lines. Just me and my bass and my 4 track. Met a few old guys like myself and started doing parties and stuff and playing and having fun and a good laugh etc.
I bought a cheap 4 string 80's Washburn and pulled the frets out and glued in some wood in their place and started playing. I love it! I need lines but it's fantastic. The mid 80's washburn basses have a fantastic sound, and they resonate which is essential for a good fretless sound. I've taken onboard Jaco's advice and learning the melody lines to the songs that my band plays, (the ones that have a decent melody).
The bottom line is, (aha humour!) it's gotta be too hard to learn on a fretless, especially an unlined one, but there must be exceptions.
My advice, get a fretted bass, play play and play some more. Learn a million songs. Hop on the fretless bass (with lines?) and have some fun. I agree that you have to develop your ear first.

Offline buckethead

• View Profile
newbie fretless question
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 12:16:48 AM »
you might want to get a freeted guitar and hold onto your frettless for a while untill you can play it

the guitars:
B.C. Rich warlock
Washburn RB-2502

the amps:
Peavey Rage 158
Fender Rumble 100
the guitars:
B.C. Rich warlock
Washburn RB-2502
2 strat knock off's
Ibanez AEB-30

the amps: