Username: Password:

Author Topic: Your Guide to X50's  (Read 17171 times)

Offline Chaos Rex

• View Profile
Your Guide to X50's
« on: June 06, 2007, 05:54:59 PM »
Here's a little guide to Washburn's X50 model guitar. Washburn has put out a few different varieties. I'll capture what I know to be out
there right now. People can add to this and I'll try and update it every once in a while.
=================================================================
Specs
    * Made in Korea or Indonesia
    * Mahogany Body
    * Flamed maple carved top (X50PRO FE)(X50PRO F)(X50AJD)
    * Quilted maple carved top (X50PRO)(X50PRO BSG1)(X50PROQ)
    * Spalted maple carved top (X50PRO)
    * Apple wood carved top (X50PRO)
    * Zebra wood carved top (X50PRO)
    * Cocobolo carved top (X50PRO)
    * Macassar Ebony carved top (X50PRO)
    * String thru body
    * Tune-o-matic bridge
    * Set neck
    * Rosewood fingerboard
    * Nut width: 43mm
    * X50PRO FE Pickups:
          o EMG81 neck
          o EMG85 bridge
    * X50PRO pickups:
          o Seymour Duncan® '59 reissue neck
          o Seymour Duncan® Custom Custom bridge
    * 3-way toggle switch
    * Exclusive Grover® 18:1 gear ratio tuners
    * Gloss finish
    * Buzz Feiten Tuning System™

PRICE/COLORS

* X50PROFE List Price: $1,499.90
    * X50PRO List Price: $1,149.90
    * Case: GC40 Included
    * X50PROFE Colors: Trans Black, Trans Red, Natural
    * X50PRO Colors: Quilted Cognac, Quilted Wine Burst, Spalted Natural, Apple wood Natural, Cocobolo Natural, Zebrawood Natural,

===================================================================
Individual Model Description

X-50: Don't know much about the original X50. One which was a limited edition was solid black with red binding and a red X inlay on the fretboard. Had Headhunter pick-ups. I do not know what kind of wood was used.

Pic Coming Eventually

X-50PRO: AKA: X-50 PROQ, The quilted Maple top model comes in Cognac Burst and Wine Burst.

The X-50PRO also comes with the following tops in the Euro Market and in extremely limited quantities in the US. Spalted Maple, Apple Wood, Zebra Wood, Cocobolo, Mahogany, and Macassar Ebony, all Natual in color. See below for individual X-50 PRO wood versions.

Pic Coming Eventually or you can check the Washburn Instrument Page you lazy @$$

X-50 PRO Apple Wood top: Built for the Euro Market. Same as the X-50 PRO specs except for the top.

Pic Coming Eventually

====================================================================

X-50 PRO Cocobolo top: Built for the Euro Market. Found in very small quantities in the U.S.. Same as the X-50 PRO specs except for the top.

Pic Coming Eventually

X-50 PRO Mahogany top: Same as the X-50 PRO specs except for the top. I believe I saw one or two of these on ebay a while back. I have not seen any evidence that they were built for any specific market or retailer. Then again, maybe I didn't see one at all.

Pic Coming Maybe, if we are lucky

X-50 PRO Spalted Maple top: AKA X-50 PRO SP, Built for the Euro Market, found in very small quantities in the U.S.. Same as the X-50 PRO specs except for the top.

Pic Coming Eventually

X-50 PRO Macassa Ebony top: Possibly built for the Euro Market, found in very small quantities in the U.S.. Same as the X-50 PRO specs except for the top.

Pic Coming Eventually

X-50PRO BSG1: AKA: X50 PRO Elite, Special made for BSG. It was a limited run of 50 that I think was going for around $795. BSG had a special where if you bought one of their First Run X81 FaceEracers you got one of their X50PRO BSG1 for free. It has gold hardware. It comes with a molded hard shell case with lepoard lining. (Looks kind of Pimp like.) BSG Logon on back of headstock. Note below any changes from the above specs.
    * Quilted maple carved top (Dark Blue w white binding)
    * Tone Pros Tune-o-matic bridge (Gold)
    * Ebony fingerboard w block Abolone inlays, BSG Devil in a top hat inlay @ first fret.
    * X50PRO BSG1 pickups:
          o Seymour Duncan® '59 Zebra reissue neck
    * Exclusive Grover® 18:1 gear ratio tuners (Gold)

Pic Coming Eventually

X-50 PROFE: AKA: X-50 PROF (see below), X-50 PROFEN, The X-50 PROFE is Washburn's U.S. Market model in the Trans Red and Trans Black colors with a limited run of Natural as well. See specs above.

Pic Coming Eventually

X-50 PROF: AKA X-50 PROFE(N) Probably intended for the Euro market judging by the garbage can with the X through it on back of the headstock on some models. It's the same as the X-50 PRO FE but it's a Natural Finish. There is a limited run of the X-50 PRO FE in natural for the U.S. market. See the X-50 PROFE above.
     * Ebony fingerboard

Pic Coming Eventually

X-50AJD: This guitar is the (Artist) Jon Donais version of the X-50 PROFE.  It has black rather than cream binding. It does not have a tone knob. It has black hardware (instead of chrome). The back of the neck is not a gloss finish. It's similar to the X-81 neck. I think it's an oil finish possibly raw. It has the same specs as the X-50 PROFE; exceptions noted below.
    * Ebony fingerboard

Colors

* Natural

Founding Member of the Nuno Brigade
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 11:08:37 AM by Chaos Rex »
Davies Division
Maple on Mahogany Militia

My Guitars

Offline Metalgoth

• View Profile
Your Guide to X50's
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 09:53:18 PM »
There was also a black X50 with red binding on the body, neck and (I think) headstock.  It had the Headhunter pickups.

Offline Chaos Rex

• View Profile
Your Guide to X50's
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 10:17:03 PM »
Yep! you are totally right. I can't believe I forgot that one. I've almost bought one (a few times).

Davies Division

My Guitars

Offline shaulin

• View Profile
Your Guide to X50's
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 11:28:02 AM »
My first Washburn... The X50 black with red binding, Headhunter pickups (YuCK!)
and I'm pretty sure it was all mahogany

Washburn X50 w/ Bareknuckle Pickups (Mule/Black Dog)
Washburn WI64D w/ Bareknuckle Warpigs
'08 Washburn WM526 (White)
'08 Washburn WM526 (Ferrari Red)
'09 Washburn WI568
'09 Washburn WI590 (Stripped body off eBay)

Offline Duke

• View Profile
Your Guide to X50's
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 07:40:54 PM »
I've only had my x50profe natural a few months. i was changing the strings and wasn't too happy with the neck pickup, it sounded too fat and powerfull, I had to lower it all the way down to balance with the bridge pickup, so i decidedd to check them, what do you know they had them installed 85 in neck and 81 in bridge, so i reversed them. SWEET !

Offline Metalgoth

• View Profile
Your Guide to X50's
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 08:38:02 PM »
By the way...there was another X50 very different from the ones described here.  It had a quilt maple top with a green burst dye.  It was also routed for three single coils.  I've had two of them myself, first burned up with the rest of the house a few years ago, second was a replacement for the first, and I just didn't like the souind of it once I put some pickups in, so I sold it (it was sold to me with no pickups).

I can mention this now because I have evidence:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WASHBURN-X-50PRO-TRANS-GREEN-QUILT-UNIQUE-X-50-PRO-X50_W0QQitemZ160135495173QQihZ006QQcategoryZ33048QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'll be amazed it he gets his asking price, though.

Offline Chaos Rex

• View Profile
Your Guide to X50's
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 10:28:48 PM »
I just saw this today myself. Crazy. While I was looking at it I was saying to myself This guy is wrong that's not an X50, but I know that you know what you're talking about and I'll get it up on the above list.

Davies Division

My Guitars

Offline shaulin

• View Profile
Your Guide to X50's
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 02:42:23 AM »
That's an X50PROACD
---description from the old Washburn Site---
3 Seymour Duncan single coils, a 5 way switch, 2 tones and one volume control provide for sustained attack and a wide variety of tones. Quilt maple top stained to a vibrant green on the headstock and body frame a well balanced tone monster of a guitar. Ask Chris Duarte... he ought to know.  

'09 Washburn WI568

Offline shaulin

• View Profile
Your Guide to X50's
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 03:59:22 AM »
From what I could find, the X50 was introduced at NAMM 2002
Description from the Washburn Site
We put the X in sexy.Curvaceous, pliable, delightful to touch and feel, gorgeous colors, playful action, hot pickups... we could go on, but that would be naughty. OK, go ahead and spank one.
Specs
Mahogany Body
Arched quilted maple top
String thru body
WB630 HH pickups
Rosewood fingerboard with X inlay
Exclusive Grover 18:1 gear ratio tuners
Pics

'09 Washburn WI568

Offline antant

• View Profile
    • http://antantgear.blogspot.com
Your Guide to X50's
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 07:46:44 AM »
Hi! I have a Korean red X50Q, put 2 dimarzio Tone Zone's and for the past 3 years I am sooo pleased (I have another 6-7 guitars, from Strat Usa to Indonesian Cort, owned USA Les Paul for 12 yrs, etc.). Recently I got an X50PRO FE, red, EMG's and all, but it was Indonesia!!! I thought it would be Korean. I also have a Korean Cort kx1f, very good, with fantastic Motherbuckers on. What is the deal with Indonesian X50 pro fe ??? Anyway, the guitar looks and plays good. Bought it from the official Washburn provider in Greece. Don't they build them in Korea anymore? You can find this text in other forums , too. Thnx for your time.
Antonis, antant@otenet.gr

Offline Chaos Rex

• View Profile
Your Guide to X50's
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 04:38:01 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by antant

Hi! I have a Korean red X50Q, put 2 dimarzio Tone Zone's and for the past 3 years I am sooo pleased (I have another 6-7 guitars, from Strat Usa to Indonesian Cort, owned USA Les Paul for 12 yrs, etc.). Recently I got an X50PRO FE, red, EMG's and all, but it was Indonesia!!! I thought it would be Korean. I also have a Korean Cort kx1f, very good, with fantastic Motherbuckers on. What is the deal with Indonesian X50 pro fe ??? Anyway, the guitar looks and plays good. Bought it from the official Washburn provider in Greece. Don't they build them in Korea anymore? You can find this text in other forums , too. Thnx for your time.
Antonis, antant@otenet.gr

Hi Antonis,

You only need to post your question once. Spamming 8 different posts with the same thing won't help you get your question answered. It will alienate you from the forum. Please don't do it again.

My Guitars
Davies Division

My Guitars

Offline T-Bone

• View Profile
Your Guide to X50's
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 10:15:04 PM »
Hi!  Can anyone tell me how many of the Macassar Ebony tops were made?  At a guitar store, there they had an X50 and WI66 Pro Idol both with Macassar Ebony tops.  After considering the two, I bought the Idol.  But now I can't seem to find any other X50 or Idol's with these tops anywhere.  Are they rare?  I can't find any information on them.  They are both beautiful guitars!  Thanks for any help!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 11:14:07 PM by T-Bone »

Offline antant

• View Profile
Your Guide to X50's
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 03:05:48 AM »
Good morning Chaos Rex and everyone!
Sorry for the multiple post, but I saw that some topics had a long time to be watched, so I did't know where to send it.
Can you help me with my new X50pro FE? I was a bit disapointed when I saw 'Indonesia'. I consider Korean guitars very well made.
I had a wine red USA Les Paul for 12 years and sold it. X50's play better IMHO!
Thanks again and sorry
Antonis

Offline Chaos Rex

• View Profile
Your Guide to X50's
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 11:07:25 AM »
Hi Antonis,

Washburn had classically been using plants in Korea and China for the last few years. They have used Japaneses plants in the past as well. It seems that in the last couple years Washburn has looked for other ways to save a buck. I have heard that they have had a few models start manufacture in Indonesia.

The X series seems to be one of Washburn's most popular so I'm not surprised to hear you have an Indonesian X model. The N2, another one of Washburn's popular and probably longest running import has been made in Korea and China, maybe we'll see some Indonesian N2's.

My Guitars
Davies Division

My Guitars

Offline antant

• View Profile
Your Guide to X50's
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 12:30:54 PM »
Thnx Chaos Rex.
The quality of my Indonesian x50profe I think is one click below my Korean x50q. The EMG's play well , though.
After owning a USA Gibson for 12 years and now a USA strat for another 4, I decided never again spending over 1000 euros for a guitar, unless an exception comes along. I surely would prefer an American X50 model... Not X81, I don't like the oblong shape.
Here in Greece guitars are relatively expensive and only now we can order via Internet, although I'm a bit cautious to do that.
Keep on rockin'
Antonis