Username: Password:

Author Topic: Show us your N4 Davies!  (Read 136548 times)

Offline skeesik

• View Profile
Show us your N4 Davies!
« Reply #330 on: December 06, 2011, 12:35:46 PM »
Good to see you here, Swish...and lovely Davies you have there.  Kind of wondered if you'd work your way over here from the Munky page :)  Love your Model T....can't wait to get my hands on one...
*skee

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
Show us your N4 Davies!
« Reply #331 on: December 06, 2011, 05:40:50 PM »
WOW. Awesome collection there, swish, thanks for sharing. Those Model t's (i looked at your page) are seriously fantastic looking. Love to know more about them.

How has the DC60 held up for you? Any issues?
http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline Clean Channel

• View Profile
    • Stephen's Extended Cutaway fanpage
Show us your N4 Davies!
« Reply #332 on: December 07, 2011, 10:07:03 AM »
Thanks Skee and Kimo!

I picked up my DC60 used a while back from a fella here in Canada who had bought it new back in the 90s.  Right at the start there had been a problem with the neck where it cracked on the back near the neck joint.  He had it professionally repaired way back then, and it has held up perfectly since then.

The repair is tough to spot if you're not looking for it, but close inspection reveals the line where the crack used to be.  The repair job is really top notch.  Since the fix, the guitar has been problem free (almost two decades!) so I'm confident it'll hold up for years to come!  

It plays great, and the sound is bright and direct; love it!
My Stephen's Extended Cutaway (SEC) guitars:
1996 Stephen's Model S
1996 Stephen's Model T
1991 'Davies' Washburn N4
1988 Washburn EC36
1994 Washburn DC60-E

Offline azrapse

• View Profile
Show us your N4 Davies!
« Reply #333 on: December 11, 2011, 02:48:44 AM »
I have an N4 Davies, original owner, that I've recorded with and have loved playing - however, I don't utilize at all anymore. My playing style has changed drastically; I seem to be most comfortable with nylon-string guitars, and my favorite seem to be be the Nippon Gaki 1970-era models that litter pawn shops, which are built like a tank and sound like a church - so I'd like to part with the Nuno.

I've lurked around this particular thread for some time since I found it about a year ago (I am a Petrucci forum regular...) and have had a chance to check out the pics, which I am sure I will revisit to stroll down memory lane should the guitar move on.

Its not been a closet queen, but with a little TLC it'll look grand. Original condition, not damaged, plays as good as when I first purchased.

Anyone interested, send me a PM... Thanks, Edward.

**ps - I can take some pics and post the serial No.# in the morning
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 02:57:06 AM by azrapse »

Offline TapeDeck

• View Profile
Re: Show us your N4 Davies!
« Reply #334 on: July 26, 2012, 12:48:35 AM »
I just bought a Davies that some of you probably saw on eBay in the last few weeks.

The owner claimed to have gotten it from Nuno in trade for some gear when Nuno was in Chicagoland recording back in 91 or 92.  He gave it to a local ebay seller friend who was originally aiming for $6000 for the guitar, and then re-listed for $3000.

Those prices are crazy, but I decided to talk to the guy.  A nice dude, not up his butt about the guitar or prices.  I explained that without proof, I have to look at the guitar as a 1991 Davies missing the bar on a tough bridge to find, and that the pickups were non standard--2 Bill Lawrence pups.

We chatted and he agreed to my offered price (way lower than the auction... $1250) 

He insists that the guitar is worth way more, and he's sure it was Nuno's and is on some recording or another... I don't know of any Extreme stuff recorded in Chicagoland during the 90’s but it could have been something for Washburn for NAMM, back when the show was here.  I was a kid.

Anyway... The kicker is that I bought the guitar... For my wife.  And on Saturday I had just bought her a 99 Black USA N4 one off guitar, that I also got a ridiculous deal on (sub $500).

So now she has this mega cool original Davies, with possible history, and I get a bonus N4 of my own.  :). Pics tomorrow!

Offline Clean Channel

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 27, 2012, 07:49:18 AM »
That's awesome!  Congrats on your new Davies N4!

Great to hear you contacted the seller and worked out a good price for the guitar!

I also scored a Davies N4 a while back missing the trem bar.  You can get the exact fit by ordering from Kahler.  I actually saved myself a little note so I would remember exactly what I did:

-The model is a 2760 Steeler
-a good place to order parts from is whammiworld.com

You should find exactly what you need there.
1996 Stephen's Model S
1996 Stephen's Model T
1988 Washburn EC36
1994 Washburn DC60-E

Offline TapeDeck

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 27, 2012, 02:38:29 PM »
AWESOME.  I'll definitely order a bar or two. 

Here are the pics. 

The guitar and the foot of the new owner, my wife.  :)
Note the two Bill Lawrence pups, supposedly from the factory.
SUPPOSEDLY Nuno's order, but I simply don't care either way, because it's permanently in our collection now...

Headstock and Kahler nut (picking up the locks this weekend)

Kahler Bridge

Another shot by the bridge

The cutout behind the bridge

ECC Closeup

Back of the guitar (nice one piece body... good grain.)

Top of the guitar.  Might try to get some of those little marrs worked out with the water/paper trick, but I may just leave them... this guitar isn't supposed to look new.

Offline Clean Channel

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 28, 2012, 07:44:06 AM »
Thanks for posting the pics!  She's in amazing condition, you really scored! 

That's a beautiful and rare guitar.  I'm happy to know it's in your collection and will be well cared for!
1996 Stephen's Model S
1996 Stephen's Model T
1988 Washburn EC36
1994 Washburn DC60-E

Offline Clean Channel

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 06, 2012, 08:26:33 AM »
Just thought I'd bump the thread and mention that I updated m post (reply #329, on page 22) to include newer, higher resolution pics of my Davies N4 as well as a pic of my most recent N4 related purchase:  a Stephen's Model S!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 08:31:00 AM by swishburn »
1996 Stephen's Model S
1996 Stephen's Model T
1988 Washburn EC36
1994 Washburn DC60-E

Offline JSA

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 20, 2013, 07:07:01 PM »
Hope someone is still following this thread. I just bought an N4 that I think may be a Davies it has all the markings of one. One thing though, if you look at the pictures miks posted on page 14, the serial number reads from left to right starting with 91 and also has Gotoh tuners. Mine is the same way and it seems to be different from the others I have seen. All the others have the 91 at the end of the serial number and have Washburn tuners. Anybody know anything about that? Got it online at GC for a decent price and want to make sure it's not a fake or something before I decide to keep it. Again, look at miks on page 14 of this thread. The back of my headstock looks just like his. Thanks, ya'll seem to be very knowledgeable about these things and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline skeesik

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: February 21, 2013, 06:32:32 AM »
Hope someone is still following this thread. I just bought an N4 that I think may be a Davies it has all the markings of one. One thing though, if you look at the pictures miks posted on page 14, the serial number reads from left to right starting with 91 and also has Gotoh tuners. Mine is the same way and it seems to be different from the others I have seen. All the others have the 91 at the end of the serial number and have Washburn tuners. Anybody know anything about that? Got it online at GC for a decent price and want to make sure it's not a fake or something before I decide to keep it. Again, look at miks on page 14 of this thread. The back of my headstock looks just like his. Thanks, ya'll seem to be very knowledgeable about these things and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey, JSA -

Cool news that you were able to grab a Davies N4!  First off, based only on your serial # description, you probably have a genuine Davies N4 (I only say probably because I haven't seen any photos).  Most of the Davies N4s that I have run across (and those in my photo archive) have the serial #91XXXX, the others are have #XXXX91 or #XXX91.

Beyond that, hardware bits have varied through out the Davies era.  Some bridge posts have hex heads, some have standard (flat head screwdriver) heads.  Some have Kahler nuts, some have Floyd nuts (with most having Kahler Trems).  Same for tuners, some are Washburn stamped, some are Gotoh.  Actually, I think even the Washburn branded tuners may be made by Gotoh.

Post some photos when you can!  That's what this thread is all about  8)
*skee

Offline JSA

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 21, 2013, 10:21:24 AM »
Hi and thanks for the quick reply. Here's the pic from the original GC ad. I'll get some better ones a little later this evening and get them posted. S# is 910805. Thanks again for the info, I've bee going crazy trying to decide if I should keep it. It's a fantastic guitar! I was just looking at N4's in general, called and got the serial number to try and get some info about it, and came across this site and all the Davies info. As long as it's a legit N4 I'm going to keep it, Davies or not. But It would be pretty cool if it was. You can see the body is 2 pretty different looking pieces of Alder. Not really as noticeable in person as it is in this pic, but you can still see it. Makes it different. I like different. Thanks again for the info!

Offline skeesik

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 21, 2013, 11:53:28 AM »
Hi and thanks for the quick reply. Here's the pic from the original GC ad. I'll get some better ones a little later this evening and get them posted. S# is 910805. Thanks again for the info, I've bee going crazy trying to decide if I should keep it. It's a fantastic guitar! I was just looking at N4's in general, called and got the serial number to try and get some info about it, and came across this site and all the Davies info. As long as it's a legit N4 I'm going to keep it, Davies or not. But It would be pretty cool if it was. You can see the body is 2 pretty different looking pieces of Alder. Not really as noticeable in person as it is in this pic, but you can still see it. Makes it different. I like different. Thanks again for the info!

Cool.  from the looks of it, it's a genuine Davies N4.  Most were 2-piece bodies and not all matched perfectly.  But, who cares?  It's the tone right?  All it needs is a good fretboard cleaning (maybe a set up?) and a hot tube amp : )
*skee

Offline Clean Channel

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 21, 2013, 11:42:31 PM »
Hey JSA,

Great guitar!  Thanks for posting!

Looks like a genuine Davies N4 to me.  Regarding the serial# 910805, that means  your guitar was the 5th one completed in August, 1991.  That means there's no way could be anything other than a real Davies N4!
1996 Stephen's Model S
1996 Stephen's Model T
1988 Washburn EC36
1994 Washburn DC60-E

Offline Gunghogringo

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 14, 2013, 03:21:23 PM »
JSA, just want you to know I missed that Davies by 10 minutes! It was on GC's used site , I rushed to my local GC to buy it and they called the store (was it in fl? ) and said they had sold it ten minutes ago, don't know if u remember but around that time there was a maple board alder n4 in New York at that same time, so I bought that one instead,,, you got a great deal on that guitar , I couldn't believe the price , mine cost much more and wasn't even a Davies,, lucky bastard!! Lol u are lucky GC is an hour away from my work,, great score , but I'm digin my maple board N4
Washburn 2008 N3/n4 , Washburn USA Custom N4 sapele with aged copper hardware, Washburn N4 Alder and maple board  , Washburn N4 Swamp Ash 2.0, Washburn N61,Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II, ESP George Lynch SKull and Snakes , Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace in Emerald Green Tolex And tan grill