Username: Password:

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
X Series / X-40 used for $130
« Last post by jonyrotten on January 28, 2018, 08:50:39 PM »
got this used for $130.  it's got a ding in the finish, no idiot stick, and the guy that last stung it had no clue what he was doing.  other than that, it seems pretty solid.  i think i'm going to like this one after i get it set up proper.

Show Us Your Washburn / T-Bird
« Last post by bigcity2 on January 28, 2018, 11:07:50 AM »
General Discussion on Washburn Electric Guitars / Re: Sonamaster series review
« Last post by MichaelDag on January 28, 2018, 03:56:46 AM »
Great insights, Tony. I was also considering the Sonamaster series. If you had to choose a single option out of all those that you mentioned, which one would you go for?
Guitar Care, Repair, Modification & Lutherie / xb 500 bantam
« Last post by Vizsla on January 27, 2018, 12:57:10 PM »
I have  a XB 500 Bantam it is popping while I am playing the sound is not as clean as it once was any ideas?
replaced batteries,  cleaned volume pod still doing it??
General Discussion / Re: Does Washburn "B stock" carry the factory warranty?
« Last post by YerDugliness on January 26, 2018, 06:04:34 PM »
Our WMJs are a pretty shallow guitar and that is the major difference between the two.

Trouble responding...forum will not allow me to post from my iPhone  >:(

Trying again from the desktop at work...Phil, here are some measurements I took over the weekend:

Depth measurements at the center of the butt of the guitars:

WMJ21S= 4 1/8"
WSJ60S= 4 7/8"
WG26S= 5"

Depth measurements at the sound-hole, taken from the inside of the back to the top of the soundboard:

WMJ21S= 3 7/8"
WSJ60S= 4 3/8"
WG26S= 4 1/4"

Width measurements at the waist of the guitar:

WMJ21S= 9 1/2"
WSJ60S= 10 1/2"
WG26S= 10"

Width measurements of the lower bout:

WMJ21S= 15 1/2"
WSJ60S= 15 1/2"
WG26S= 16"

Width measurements of the upper bout:

WMJ21S=11"
WSJ60S= 11 1/2"
WG26S= 11 3/4"

The WMJ series is clearly the thinnest...if depth is the issue you're facing with your size requirements, the WSJ60S is between 1/2" and 3/4" "deeper" than the WMJ21S. The "Southern Jumbo" design is just a slope-shouldered dread size guitar. I now have two slope-shouldered guitars, and I like the tonal balance of both of them very much. My Epi AJ500RC Masterbilt has the advantage regarding playability (it has a very nice, thick V-neck) and sound (it is clearly louder than the WSJ60S model).

I've included measurements for the WG26S, not because you expressed an interest in that model, but because WMS has a fantastic price for  that model and among the three it is clearly the superior instrument in regards to lutherie, volume, playability and tonal balance...and all of the MOP bling certainly doesn't hurt! If you can wrap yourself around the WG26S, it would be my first choice. The only possible negatives you may have with the instrument are, IMHO, the depth of the guitar, as well as the size of the upper bout...but there's good news there---since the vast majority of my playing is accomplished sitting, that larger upper bout sure keeps the waist of the guitar from sliding around on my thigh. It is a pleasant and unexpected feature of the WG26S, which is a "Grand Auditorium" body style.

I hope this helps, Phil....if you'd like a specific measurement comparison that I haven't posted, let me know and I'll get it up. It might be a problem getting the forum to accept the post from my iPhone on a weekend, but it seems to do quite well if I post from a desktop, which requires me to be at work.

OTOH, that cocobolo on the WSJ60S is visually quite SPECTACULAR...if the appearance of your guitars comes into play in your decisions, based on visual impact it would be hard to beat the WSJ60S for physical beauty...and it does have decent sound, it's just not quite at the level of the WG26S in that respect!

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
« Last post by YerDugliness on January 26, 2018, 05:55:09 PM »
Our WMJs are a pretty shallow guitar and that is the major difference between the two.
« Last post by philpm on January 26, 2018, 04:37:20 PM »
Dug, how much larger is the WG26S than the WSJ60?  The size is really a determining factor for me because of my stature.  A dread size or comparable is going to be too large for me to play comfortably. 

I recently tried one of the new D'Angelico guitars, the Delancey model.  Its an all mahogany cutaway dread.  I expected the normal all-mahogany low end, and was completely blown away at how nice a full range sound it has.  I'd buy one in a heartbeat, but even just trying it out, it was apparent that it was far to large for me to play comfortably for any length of time.  The size is one of the reasons that I bought the WMJ11s.
Show Us Your Washburn / Re: My Washburn
« Last post by gusto on January 26, 2018, 02:29:33 PM »
It turns out I was reading it wrong.  The model number on my Washburn is actually SS40-B.  Any help on this guitar, particularly it's value, would be very much apprecaited.  Thanks, Gusto-
There are some VERY good prices now on Washburn's series of "ELITE" instruments.

Here is what I've heard about the "ELITE" series, of which I am aware of 2 models:

Washburn WSJ60SKELITE Solid Cedar Top Southern Jumbo Acoustic Guitar with case

Washburn WSJ50SKELITE Solid Spruce Top Southern Jumbo Acoustic Guitar with case.

The 60 model has a solid cedar soundboard and laminate "Cocobolo" sides and back.

The 50 model has a solid spruce soundboard with laminate Koa sides and back.

Both models appear to be "Southern Jumbo" models...essentially "slope shouldered" dread-sized instruments.

There isn't much really known about how the ELITE series originated, but after having some conversations with the owner of the online company from which I order, here is what little I have heard (I have no idea how accurate it is).

The ELITE line was developed to be sold only in certain music stores, which were going to be designated as "ELITE" dealers by Washburn. This was reported to have been a project that was going to involve stores not only in the U.S., but also in Europe. Somehow, the "ELITE" dealerships didn't seem to get off the ground, but Washburn had a stock of "ELITE" labeled guitars already made, so one of the online instrument dealers (which IS an authorized Washburn dealer) apparently bought the entire stock and is offering great deals on these ELITE instruments.

One issue which is usually of particular importance (to me) is the quality of lutherie and the nature of the materials used. In this case, the instrument gets a B...the dreaded "ivoroid" cream colored bindings on the body and neck are notably absent and in their place is high quality maple. That gives the instrument a much more "professional" look. The Rosette is MOP/Abalone, but the purfling is not. The fretboard is bound, as is the head plate. The neck is surprisingly "thick" (I like a V-neck, so a thick neck suits me just fine). The only reason I give it a B rather than an A is that I also own a WG26S (Grand Auditorium body style) and the bindings along that guitar's fretboard/headplate  and around the body are much more "deluxe" than the ones on the ELITE. I would have expected that to be reversed for an instrument that Washburn was developing as it's premier line.

I have yet to see or hear the other ELITE offering from WMS...it's spruce soundboard should offer brighter tones and tolerate much more vigorous strumming, and the koa will give a warmth to the sound.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)

« Last post by YerDugliness on January 26, 2018, 09:50:42 AM »
Hi, Phil...here's a cool feature regarding the ELITE series. The guitars come with a very heavy case that has a covering resembling alligator skin. On the butt of the case is a decal identifying the case as being paired with the guitar using the serial number of the guitar. We've all heard about how having all of the original equipment that came with a guitar can improve its value...perhaps this sticker on the butt of the guitar's case was designed to do just that.

I think there's more to the "ELITE" series than what we've talked about here, so I think I'll start a new thread in the Acoustic forum regarding the series.

Just as an afterthought, though...if you're looking for eye candy, it would be hard to beat the WSJ60SKELITE, which has a cedar soundboard and cocobolo secondary tonewoods (laminate in nature). I researched cocobolo and found out that it is a hard species of rosewood, so you'll get that great gutsy rosewood tone with the ELITE. Mine is not as spectacularly banded as most of the cocobolo guitars I've seen, but it has very attractive dark coffee coloration mixed in with the cappuccino colored bands.

If you're looking for a great looking AND sounding guitar, consider the WG26S, it is clearly superior to the WSJ60SELITE in volume and tone and as well has much more "deluxe" lutherie. I would have thought that Washburn would have prioritized lutherie for the ELITE series...but the WG26S clearly outshines the ELITE model in that area, too.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]