Username: Password:

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
 :) Brightens me up to hear that someone with so MUCH guitar experience AND a nice collection of quality guitars can still be tickled by simple experiences.
no strap button on the heel of the neck
Y'know, this used to bother me as well. Then I dug up a bunch of memories, & realized I had played acoustics that had that button all over the place.
  • end of the heel (which dug a hole in the case)
  • top of the heel (unless pointy)
  • underside of the heel
  • none -- strap (if used at all) tied behind nut
So for "beginner" guitars it makes sense to just bolt it on somewhere so the kid can (theoretically) get right on to playing. But with an instrument meant for more-experienced players, builders would simply leave it off, assuming that the guitar shop -- hey, remember those?  ??? -- would take a literal minute to put it wherever the customer wanted.

I'm too lazy to go open the cases, but I recall putting the Alvarez button below, as it's got a pointy heel, & the Aria's flat on because it's got a "beaver-tail" heel.

And if memory serves, the Alvarez's strap was less likely to pop off, though I can't say it was significantly more secure.
Show Us Your Washburn / Re: Help Identify My Washburn!
« Last post by Tony Raven on June 24, 2017, 11:11:42 AM »
Falling asleep a few nights ago, that darned serial number popped into my head... :o

My unconscious didn't like it at all. I'm pretty certain that someone on these boards once said that ALL Japan-built Washburns had serial numbers of six digits or less... but now I can't find the thread. (FWIW, generally four OR six digits, but you know what I mean.;))

If so, that would mean that the OP guitar is more likely a reissue 1998.

Can anyone either support or deny this???
Show Us Your Washburn / Re: Help identifying this guitar please?
« Last post by Tony Raven on June 24, 2017, 10:58:50 AM »
Well, probably a 2011. As the prefixes aren't so certain, maybe a Samick build, which (probably...) would mean Indonesia.

What you have certainly does resemble a variant WIN14F, with "shred-friendly" controls -- a little surprising it doesn't have a "kill" switch. That small toggle is likely a "split" for the bridge pickup. The knobs could be either V1/V2 or V/T.

Could have been a short-run model for some regional market or for a big retailer (Musician's Friend, Guitar Center, etc.).

Considering that the WI-14 goes for $100-$150, & the WIN-14 ~$175, I'd say what you're looking at is maybe a decent axe for $150 ($125-$175) depending how much you really need a guitar.

Washburn was NEVER big on outright Gibson-clone shapes until new owner Jam Industries decreed the WIN Series (2010-2014, a.k.a. "New Idol") would replace one of their best-selling lines (subsequently replaced by the PXL).

Reasons to be cautious AND play it before committing AND not pay a dear asking price.
  • few Washburn guitars have ANY "collectible" value, especially at the low end of the retail-price scale, which yours is
  • low-end Washburns could vary wildly from "near-unplayable after extensive adjustment" to "stage-worthy right from the box"
  • unbranded Washburn pickups can be anything from incredible to muddy/muffled or in-between
  • their lower-end 2000s guitars (model numbers under 20, particularly with non-Grover tuners) often had fret ends sticking out & sometimes needed fret dressing ESPECIALLY if previously owned by some young wannabee metaller who really ground the strings in at four or five places
General Discussion on Washburn Electric Guitars / Single Humbucker Models?
« Last post by Stellabluesboy on June 23, 2017, 10:12:14 PM »
I just picked up a Washburn BU-5, a promo guitar for Bud Dry. I'm trying to identify what model this design  was based off of, or if this design is exclusive to the promo guitars. It's Strat-shaped and has a single humbucker (non-angled) at the bridge, one volume knob,  a flat top, and a string through body with no tremolo.

So my question is... How many single humbucker models did Washburn make in the 80s/90s? Would also like to know age and about how many of these were produced. Serial number 1120213.
I just picked up a Washburn "BU-5" today. It's also a promo guitar for Bud Dry beer. It's got a single humbucker (non-angled) at the bridge with one volume knob. The headstock reads "Why ask why?" which was Bud Dry's slogan. Haven't seen this body style or pickup setup on any other Washburn guitar. String through design. The guy I got it from said he got it around 1994. Would love to know how many of these were made, when, and if this design is peculiar to the BU-5.
Well, it arrived a few days ago and I have given it a pretty nice workout. Here is what I think:

Positives: finish, tonal balance across as well as up/down the neck, overall appearance, material choices, a GREAT dedicated case...in fact, the case has a bar-code sticker that identifies which serial number guitar was delivered in that case (may be important if the guitar is ever sold, or ...lost, since this is a "K" model.) :o

Negatives: presence/projection, playability, no strap button on the heel of the neck, attention to minor details during construction.

I am pleased to see Washburn did use wood for the bindings of the body---looks a LOT like maple to me. Washburn added other decorative features to enhance appearance, like 5-stripe purfling around the body, neck and head. The frets are nicely dressed on the edges and there are no sharp fret ends. The head-plate is cocobolo, matching the secondary tonewoods. The top is a lightly colored cedar and appears to be acceptably thin. The two pieces used for the back are well book-matched. As are the two pieces selected for the sides. This particular specimen does not have the highly figured contrasting grain patterns that most cocobolo has, but It has nice color and is very attractive. The finish department got it right!!! Flawless!!!

I'll be back to edit more in later!

Cheers!!

Dugly 8)
General Artist Forum / Re: LOOKING FOR METAL BAND ...
« Last post by DanWah on June 23, 2017, 02:52:10 AM »
hey
Are you still looking for a place in metal band? If you are still interested I will be more then happy to talk to you about that. Please send me a private message.
Show Us Your Washburn / Help identifying this guitar please?
« Last post by Absolute on June 21, 2017, 07:54:12 PM »
Hi,

1st time post.

I would appreciate  any help identifying  this guitar please, I am about to purchase it and my trail in trying to find out what model has drawn a blank.

It looks a lot like the idol series, but has no tone adjustment and an additional switch?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks in advance.

http://i.imgur.com/08KBVdt.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/uWyn9zZ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/gxmKQ2X.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2WLF3za.jpg
Bantam Basses / Re: Features of XB 500
« Last post by psp742 on June 21, 2017, 06:24:48 PM »
glad to see you join Talkbass..  the moderator will give you a number if you want.
General Discussion / Poor customer service
« Last post by Carpmandazzer on June 21, 2017, 01:58:49 PM »
I'm just wondering has anyone else had very poor customer service after contacting USMC after build quality issues ???
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10