Username: Password:

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: used Washburns on the market
« Last post by YerDugliness on October 17, 2017, 02:17:00 PM »
Most of the folk guitars I have played had not only wider necks than most steel string guitars, but they also did not have a radiused fretboard, like most steel string guitars have. The fretboard was flat like a classical guitar (that's important when choosing a capo).

(Edit: it's been a while, but other differences were the folk guitar had a peg-head rather than a slot-head, like a classical...finally, I can't remember, but it seems some folk models were 14 frets free and others were 12 frets free...but, logic tells me they were all 12-frets free.)

Bob Dylan played a folk guitar a lot at first.....as one would expect.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)

General Discussion / Some Washburn history presented by Washburn, itself!
« Last post by YerDugliness on October 17, 2017, 02:12:31 PM »
We all hear about the long history Washburn has, but because of a factory fire long ago a lot of records were destroyed. This video contains dates and may go a short way toward getting historical references direct from Washburn.

http://www.washburn.com/media/video/99-The-History-of-Washburn-Guitars.html

Cheers!

Dugly 8)

Hollowbody & Jazz Series / Re: HB35 very dark sounding
« Last post by Tony Raven on October 16, 2017, 10:33:55 PM »
So, any updates on the Great Capacitor Miracle? ;)
Acoustic Guitar Players Post Comments & Questions / Re: D10F-SB
« Last post by Tony Raven on October 16, 2017, 09:57:01 PM »
The "F" is a new one on me. Lacking photos, I found a secondary source that says it signifies a flame-maple veneer (which seems to like up with Washburn's use of "Q" for quilt maple).
Hollowbody & Jazz Series / Re: New J6 owner
« Last post by MiguelloJ-6 on October 16, 2017, 07:41:26 AM »
Yeah there's no way I'd stick a 12-15k pickup in a hollow body and expect goodness. My 66 Harmony Rocket feeds back n the clean channel, with DeArmond single coils, lol. I will most likely be trying out some mellow jazz licks, to satisfy my curiosity on the matter. I have ten well now 11 electric guitars, including 4 Les Paul style, a Thinline Tele, two MIM Strats, etc. I have orange drops on nearly everything I own, just because they're cheap and if it helps then just fine. To me it does seem to tame the raspy jagged edges on some guitars when running OD. I've started looking into strings now. I tried some flatwound a loooong time ago, so I may try them at least briefly on this beast.

I've been wanting a jazz guitar for a while now, and missed out on a similar Oscar Schmidt in black a year or two ago for $250. I gave myself a day or two to think about it, and someone made the call by buying it, lol. This one ended up being about $315 + tax.. I should be able to pick it up Friday. I am starting a new job this week, so waiting on my final check from the last job.

It looks exactly like this one, but less perfect of course.

Acoustic Guitar Players Post Comments & Questions / Re: new member / Japanese acoustics
« Last post by Pike on October 15, 2017, 08:48:34 PM »
Thanks for posting that cool photo Jim!

Guitar Care, Repair, Modification & Lutherie / identify guitar
« Last post by cugir321 on October 15, 2017, 06:59:17 PM »
Anyone know what the model of this guitar is?  It has no model number on it.  Shoot I can't insert an image....anyone know how?
I did some research in the archive and checked it on you tube.....it looks like a WR-150....has the real thin cut away piece on the bottom of the body.....2 single coils, 1 humbucker on the bridge, chrome grovers.  I've looked everywhere.....no serial number....only thing I haven't taken off is the neck.

I'm trying to figure out what pots and 5 way switch to buy......it has really small pots......half the size of the normal A500/B500 pots.
I bought it today for 5.00.  The neck looks straight and the truss rod works....  I plugged it in and got no sound.....I clipped the wires off the middle pickup, off the 5 way switch, and hooked it to a guitar cord and amp.....the pickup works when I tap the magnets with a screw driver so I believe the pick ups work.
I'm trying to figure out which pots and 5 way switch to buy to replace.
Can you identify the pots and guitar model?   If you know where I can get the pots and 5 way switch at a good price let me know....thanks.
N Series (Nuno Bettencourt) / N2 help with serial number
« Last post by Kikito on October 15, 2017, 01:28:38 PM »
First hi everybody here...  ;)

I have recently purchased a second-hand N2 and I could not find any info about it. Any help,please?

TIA and greetings from Spain.
Hollowbody & Jazz Series / Re: New J6 owner
« Last post by Tony Raven on October 15, 2017, 12:26:14 PM »
A truly great model, IMO worth far more than the $600 (+/- $150) they sell for.

It's one of the longest-lived Washburn models, running 1989-2004. I can't remember which tailpiece came first, but my (increasingly foggy ;)) memory says the "W" is most recent. Possibly it's an '89, but mostly I think you're right with '92.

Stereo output? Yah, maybe, though I'd guess it was for recording work, with one pickup right to the board & the other to a monitor amp or phones. (If I had to run a stereo output cross-stage, it'd be with a single stereo cord.) Even atthat, I'd still consider putting a low-Z pickup in for recording, but to each his own.

But don't fall for gear hype. There's all sorts of superstitious claptrap about Magical Capacitors -- Orange Drops, Bumblebees, Tropical Fish, gevalt!! -- & it's entirely BS. For 40+ years, I've replaced the common brown ceramic disks because it's not unusual for the darned things to shatter; my replacements have been green Mylars, because they're common & cheap & reliable. Anyone who pays an upcharge for a part worth less than a dollar is a fool who maybe SHOULD be parted from his money. 8)

To date, I have yet to meet a player who can tell by ear whether a pickup is a Lover-spec PAF or a new Artec, or detect any sonic difference between Alnico V & Alnico II. They are far less likely to tell the difference between capacitors... & the fact is that 98% of players don't fiddle with the guitar's Tone knob anyway. (IMO, most players would do better to remove the control entirely: less noise AND clearer sound.)

I've been told by "oldschool" jazz players that a proper jazzbox ought to be strung with .012 flatwounds. In any case, stuffing in the same boring usual overpriced overhyped pickups would be nuts, as those units are almost always designed to be stuck in a solid slab of wood ~1.75" thick. A "hot" pickup is only going to make a jazzbox sound boomy, & that's why players go online to fripe about how the guitar sucks ::) because of course it can't be THEIR fault for being clueless.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10