Username: Password:

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Washburn build by Matsumoku and/or Yamaki?
« Last post by Mbechmann on December 08, 2017, 11:22:23 AM »
I still have not heard that Terada actually made any acoustics for Washburn I know they were very heavy into the electric and we also know that there were smaller runs of guitars made of basic models but I think that was after Rudy took over when we see a shift into different guitars. I have tried to reach out to the Beckmen Winery to see if he would provide any more info from when they owned it but never got a response back from him. All we can provide is the best info gathered from each and all of us and then one day who knows maybe someone will sit down and write the damn book on Washburn and clean up a ton of misinformation.

Hehe funny you should say that. That book is on the way - written by the 2 friends and myself. Right now we have about 80% of the Yamaki/Daion/Washburn history confirmed and as soon as the last part is confirmed, we will go public with the whole thing.

As for Terada. Thats the interesting part about the serial numbers. Because I know what style of serial numbers Terada used, I can ID the instruments that they build. This is on the acoustics by the way. Those are the easiest to see. The style they used was 6 digits stamped/burned into the heel of the neck with an sn where the 2 first digits are the year (80xxxx). So yea, some the Washburn acoustics are indeed build by Terada :)
Acoustic Guitar Players Post Comments & Questions / Re: Do you know this guitar?
« Last post by YerDugliness on December 08, 2017, 11:22:12 AM »
Thanks again to all for the detained information. I've posted the guitar for sale in the dealers section.

Please check your forum P.M. inbox for a message from me.

Thanks!

Dugly 8)
« Last post by ship of fools on December 08, 2017, 11:10:33 AM »
I still have not heard that Terada actually made any acoustics for Washburn I know they were very heavy into the electric and we also know that there were smaller runs of guitars made of basic models but I think that was after Rudy took over when we see a shift into different guitars. I have tried to reach out to the Beckmen Winery to see if he would provide any more info from when they owned it but never got a response back from him. All we can provide is the best info gathered from each and all of us and then one day who knows maybe someone will sit down and write the damn book on Washburn and clean up a ton of misinformation.
« Last post by Mbechmann on December 08, 2017, 09:40:59 AM »
I know for a fact that they order smaller runs. When I ordered my C124SWK I asked one of the moderators how many were received and was told the total production run was only 26. For the C124SWCEK model I was told it was even smaller (IIRC I was told it was 12).

I have played classical guitars for over 40 years and with the single exception of a handmade Hippner model, this C124SWK model is my best classical. To be truthful, there are things about my C124SWK that I like better than the Hippner (like the floating arm rest, for one!).

Cheers!

Dugly 8)

There is 1 difference. The C124SWK is not made by Yamaki  :D. I use to own a Washburn DM2000S Millenium Series Limited Edition, and that was only made in a 1000 production run total.

But this was much earlier than these. There you had a fairly decent amount of production runs. That being said, yes, they did shorter runs as well. Fx a Washburn Falcon Goldtop. We know of 2 of those built so they did do much smaller runs. I am talking about the runs for the standard Wings or Stage series. The order would be: 50 Falcons, 50 Eagles, 50 Ravens, 50 Hawks and so on. In total it will be an order for 200 instruments
Acoustic Guitar Players Post Comments & Questions / Re: Do you know this guitar?
« Last post by tymbee on December 08, 2017, 09:30:31 AM »
Thanks again to all for the detained information. I've posted the guitar for sale in the dealers section.
Washburn Dealers Section / Washburn D62SW for sale
« Last post by tymbee on December 08, 2017, 09:28:20 AM »
Asking $200 + shipping for my guitar described/discussed in previous post here:

http://forums.washburn.com/index.php/topic,26986.0.html
« Last post by YerDugliness on December 08, 2017, 09:24:37 AM »
[quote author=Mbechmann link=topic=27080.msg159514#msg159514 date=1512669518
As for the 200 orders at the time. I think that sounds about right. Its a number we have heard before but we have also heard numbers saying 50, 100, 250 and 500. Even 12 (Yamaki build Harptones). I think the answer to this is that they didnt focus on the 200 as a number. They would order more a specific model and that was it :).

I know for a fact that they order smaller runs. When I ordered my C124SWK I asked one of the moderators how many were received and was told the total production run was only 26. For the C124SWCEK model I was told it was even smaller (IIRC I was told it was 12).

I have played classical guitars for over 40 years and with the single exception of a handmade Hippner model, this C124SWK model is my best classical. To be truthful, there are things about my C124SWK that I like better than the Hippner (like the floating arm rest, for one!).

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
« Last post by YerDugliness on December 08, 2017, 09:18:11 AM »
There may be a time limit keeping you from posting more than a certain number of posts at a time. Wait a bit and try again or try to fit everything you want to say into 1 post.

Database Error
Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.

I keep getting that notice, too! I notice that if I can't get the information to post, the forum software deletes my intended post in quick order, too. It is quite frustrating, as I do tend to create rather lengthy posts.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
« Last post by Mbechmann on December 08, 2017, 02:02:12 AM »
There may be a time limit keeping you from posting more than a certain number of posts at a time. Wait a bit and try again or try to fit everything you want to say into 1 post.

Database Error
Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.
« Last post by Mbechmann on December 08, 2017, 01:51:30 AM »
[quote author=Mbechmann link=topic=27080.msg159514#msg159514 date=1512669518Yamaki also build some acoustics Washburns earlier. We just dont know if they were full scale productions or prototypes of some sort. We have also seen some acoustics Washburns that was build prior to 1977 that was build by Terada. So we dont know for sure about the acoustics :)

On the electric sides its a whole different story. Wings, Stage, HP35 and Force to some degree as well are confirmed to be Yamaki.

I apologize in advance because I realize that you are a serious fan & not simply seeking for controversy.

First, though I will gladly have Jim Smith weigh in here, there is little argument that there are Yamaki-built instruments branded "Washburn." There were, of course, the dreadnought-format acoustics built for Beckmen Musical Instruments, which ceased operation in 1977, selling off assets (including the Washburn brand).

There is no confusion about this, except for your use of undefined terms such as "full-scale production": as Jim Smith has said, many Washburn models (particularly acoustic)  were ordered in lots of 200 units &, if sales were poor, were simply never re-ordered. I certainly wouldn't make the case that the 200 were somehow "a prototype" rather than "full-scale production."

Rudy Schlacher sourced multiple factories to produce Washburn-branded instruments, & one of those vendors was Yamaki. The better Wing & Stage models were likely made by Terada, with the lesser (biolt-neck) models from Matsumoku, possibly until its 1987 demise. After Schlacher launched Washburn, he certainly continued to "audition" other manufacturers in pursuit of both quality AND profit margin.
[/quote]

There is a lot of things here.

First of all. The Wings and Stage are NOT made by Terada. They are made by Yamaki. How do I know this? I am talking to the man who designed them - the son of the Daion founder.
Add to this, that the sn is Yamaki. There is no doubt at all, that they are Yamaki made.

The bolt on neck versions. These were made by Chushin. I know that they were NOT made by Matsumoku. We have a contact at Matsumoku and he confirmed that they never build ANY Washburns. Again the sn confirms this.

As for full-scale production. I will clearify a little bit what I am talking about. Prototypes build by Yamaki are less than 5 build. Yamaki produced around 1200 Washburns a year through 77-84.
Before 77 the low numbers I am talking about are indeed prototypes. Less then 5 instruments each time.

As for the 200 orders at the time. I think that sounds about right. Its a number we have heard before but we have also heard numbers saying 50, 100, 250 and 500. Even 12 (Yamaki build Harptones). I think the answer to this is that they didnt focus on the 200 as a number. They would order more a specific model and that was it :).
That being said, they still have a contract on building these so it was not like they ordered them. They were contracted to build them from 77 and they were to deliver a specific number of instruments each year. What models they were producing would be whatever that they sold the most of.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10