Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
X Series / Re: X50 white with floyd?
« Last post by Dalamr on April 12, 2017, 07:44:54 AM »
OO great guitar!
Announcements & News / Re: RIP Chuck Berry
« Last post by Dalamr on April 12, 2017, 07:43:16 AM »
Peace Chuck ! We miss you:(
Idol Series / Re: Any love for the Pilsens?
« Last post by Tony Raven on April 09, 2017, 06:34:51 PM »
As with many things Washburn, confusion comes in when names get repurposed.

I first heard "Pilsen" applied to the P Series carved-top guitars, in the late '90s. These (as I said) were later rebranded as the E Series, then Centurian (a.k.a. CT), then back to P.

In the 1997-1998 catalogue, Bettencourt is clearly playing a P4SIG, with the caption Nuno Bettencourt with his signature P4 in Tiffany Blue.

The "Pilsen" name reappeared in 2005 attached to the PI70, clearly an Idol, which sure looks the same as the 2007 WI70.
Festival Series / Re: Cleaning and care advice
« Last post by cscarlsson on April 09, 2017, 11:45:48 AM »
Just curious, did your 12 string Festival come with a case? A lot of Washburn 12-string guitars have heads that are so long that it is hard to find a case into which the head will fit. If yours has a case, you're very lucky!

Sadly no case, I am on the lookout though and will be hitting some of the local stores over the coming weeks. 

Glad to hear it's going to work out. Evenkeel has done a lot of instrument care and mods...so you can certainly follow his advice.

One thing...you mentioned a chicklet saddle? Be careful to look carefully and remember the orientation and location of each of the chicklets...get them reversed or out of order and the intonation will be all messed up.

With this in mind I am definitely following Evenkeel's advice, I spoke to the guy I bought the guitar off who also does setup and he's going to do the full clean, setup and minor restoration for me.  I'm quickly finding that whilst my strat was straightforward, this has so much potential to go horribly wrong with my own inexperience that it's best to splash out the 60-100 that the setup will cost.  I've ordered a set of these http://amzn.to/2nXKu8R and will let him figure out the rest.

If you're looking for a bone strap button, you couldn't do better than going through Bob Colosi at www.guitarsaddles.com

He can make you end pins, too...and match your bone strap button to your current endpins if you already have some you like. I use his "West African Hard Ivory" products almost exclusively, but they are expensive and of course you don't dare to take the guitar out of the U.S. or you may not get it through customs on the way back. Things may be a bit different over on your side of the pond, though.

Thanks for that, I'll take a look and see, if I can run to it I'd like to get the button sorted.  This is a beautiful guitar and deserves to look it's best.

Thanks for all the help and advice, it is much appreciated.

Kind regards
Jason
General Discussion on Washburn Electric Guitars / Re: Washburn A10V I.D. Year
« Last post by blazer2000 on April 08, 2017, 07:52:36 PM »
Correct info, 1985 Japanese made in Kasuga factory which was a secondary manufacturer during that time.
I have a G-5V and G-20V both from Kasuga and they are very well made.
So I picked up one of the newer WIDLX flame honey bursts and its a great guitar.
I loved the Idols I had before, WI66 in both Blue and Grey.  However, I hated the Buzz Feiten tuning.

This newer one has standard tuning and still has the VCC. 

Now I want to put on a pick guard and wondered if anyone knows of a factory fit one that works?
Vintage and Rare Washburns / 1987 Washburn G-15v
« Last post by Js25495 on April 08, 2017, 08:30:30 AM »
I'm curious about the value of this guitar and it's country of origin. Any info would help.
Festival Series / Re: Cleaning and care advice
« Last post by YerDugliness on April 07, 2017, 02:07:50 PM »
If your Festival uses that type of pins, then yes, you would insert the ball end of the string through the hole in the bridge and then insert the pins, making sure that the string remains in the groove on the pin, until they feel like they "bottom out". Then you'd pull on the string gently to snug the ball end up against the bridge plate on the underside of the soundboard...but be careful because they can get hung up on the end of the pin as you try to tune them up. I always bend the ball end of the string a little bit so it will slip past the end of the pin that has been inserted into the bridge.

Yeah...I did misunderstand. Yours is a very common way to install the strings...you just have to do it for twice as many.

Just curious, did your 12 string Festival come with a case? A lot of Washburn 12-string guitars have heads that are so long that it is hard to find a case into which the head will fit. If yours has a case, you're very lucky!

Glad to hear it's going to work out. Evenkeel has done a lot of instrument care and mods...so you can certainly follow his advice.

One thing...you mentioned a chicklet saddle? Be careful to look carefully and remember the orientation and location of each of the chicklets...get them reversed or out of order and the intonation will be all messed up.

If you're looking for a bone strap button, you couldn't do better than going through Bob Colosi at www.guitarsaddles.com

He can make you end pins, too...and match your bone strap button to your current endpins if you already have some you like. I use his "West African Hard Ivory" products almost exclusively, but they are expensive and of course you don't dare to take the guitar out of the U.S. or you may not get it through customs on the way back. Things may be a bit different over on your side of the pond, though.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)

Idol Series / WI590 back from the dead
« Last post by shaulin on April 07, 2017, 01:04:00 PM »
I bought this guitar off eBay, Washburn were just bought by Jam and they dumped everything they had in the custom shop
finished or unfinished, I managed to buy this guitar with just the sealer on it, looks like it was originally white and had the color
stripped off due to some QC problem.
It was in it's case for more than 7-8 years, I wanted it finished, I just kept forgetting about it.
a few months back I finally had it finished.
I had it repainted in black on top and Gibson-ish dark red on the back, keystone grovers 1:18
and Bareknuckle Miracle man pickups and all gold hardware.

I've had my name added to the headstock instead of the "Washburn Custom Shop" decal they used to ad to these guitars.
that's the closest I'll probably get to a custom USA Idol.

Shaul
Idol Series / Re: Any love for the Pilsens?
« Last post by shaulin on April 07, 2017, 12:55:16 PM »
The Idol has nothing to do with Nuno.

if you still want a USA idol, try this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Washburn-Idol-566-Customer-Shop-/322471484145?hash=item4b14cc5af1:g:U9wAAOSwCU1Yr0dU

WI566, it's a slimmer body with Mahogany Back and Maple top
binded fretboard and abalone inlays.

I own one, it's lighter and plays like a dream.

Shaul
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10