Username: Password:

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Discuss Basses and Bass Playing / Re: Washburn force 4, origin?
« Last post by Mbechmann on December 08, 2017, 01:16:29 AM »
a Yamaki serial number :)
How can you be certain it's "a Yamaki serial number"? Did they trademark all six-digit numbers? :o

Actually by Japanese law since 1973 all instruments leaving ANY factory complete had to have a unique serial number. So they didnt need to trademark the serial numbers. By law they had to have one.
« Last post by Tony Raven on December 07, 2017, 09:32:52 PM »
a Yamaki serial number :)
How can you be certain it's "a Yamaki serial number"? Did they trademark all six-digit numbers? :o
Acoustic Guitar Players Post Comments & Questions / Re: Do you know this guitar?
« Last post by Tony Raven on December 07, 2017, 09:28:06 PM »
IOW it's not for "dealers only"?
I think long ago it might have been primarily for professional Washburn dealers (Funky Munky, Boogie Street, etc.), but recently it's been used by whoever wants to sell or buy a Washburn item.

In Very Good condition, it'd go for maybe $500. As with so many quality Washburns, it's under-rated; if you ask $200 + shipping, you may find a taker, especially from someone who knows it'll probably play great, & likely sound pretty good even with the cracks.
General Discussion / Re: Washburn build by Matsumoku and/or Yamaki?
« Last post by Tony Raven on December 07, 2017, 08:58:06 PM »
[quote author=Mbechmann link=topic=27080.msg159514#msg159514 date=1512669518Yamaki also build some acoustics Washburns earlier. We just dont know if they were full scale productions or prototypes of some sort. We have also seen some acoustics Washburns that was build prior to 1977 that was build by Terada. So we dont know for sure about the acoustics :)

On the electric sides its a whole different story. Wings, Stage, HP35 and Force to some degree as well are confirmed to be Yamaki.
[/quote]

I apologize in advance because I realize that you are a serious fan & not simply seeking for controversy.

First, though I will gladly have Jim Smith weigh in here, there is little argument that there are Yamaki-built instruments branded "Washburn." There were, of course, the dreadnought-format acoustics built for Beckmen Musical Instruments, which ceased operation in 1977, selling off assets (including the Washburn brand).

There is no confusion about this, except for your use of undefined terms such as "full-scale production": as Jim Smith has said, many Washburn models (particularly acoustic)  were ordered in lots of 200 units &, if sales were poor, were simply never re-ordered. I certainly wouldn't make the case that the 200 were somehow "a prototype" rather than "full-scale production."

Rudy Schlacher sourced multiple factories to produce Washburn-branded instruments, & one of those vendors was Yamaki. The better Wing & Stage models were likely made by Terada, with the lesser (biolt-neck) models from Matsumoku, possibly until its 1987 demise. After Schlacher launched Washburn, he certainly continued to "audition" other manufacturers in pursuit of both quality AND profit margin.
Hollowbody & Jazz Series / Re: Which case fits a J6?
« Last post by adadamo on December 07, 2017, 07:55:45 PM »
For the record I ended up getting a Fender Jumbo Acoustic Flat-Top case for about $88.
It's not a perfect fit but it's OK
« Last post by Mbechmann on December 07, 2017, 11:58:38 AM »
are you talking about electrics being built by Yamaki from 77-84 cause I am pretty sure they built acoustics before 77 can see why there is so much confussion records I can guess were not a big priority for them at that time

Well sort of :) Its true that Yamaki also build some acoustics Washburns earlier. We just dont know if they were full scale productions or prototypes of some sort. We have also seen some acoustics Washburns that was build prior to 1977 that was build by Terada. So we dont know for sure about the acoustics :)

On the electric sides its a whole different story. Wings, Stage, HP35 and Force to some degree as well are confirmed to be Yamaki.
« Last post by Mbechmann on December 07, 2017, 11:54:09 AM »
Korea, probably 1983.

Sorry but thats not correct. These are actually very interesting. They are build using some parts from Yamaki, and sometimes Chushin hardware. They are assembled by Chushin in Japan.

For this to be Korean it wouldnt need a serial number - and yet alone a Yamaki serial number :)
Acoustic Guitar Players Post Comments & Questions / Re: Do you know this guitar?
« Last post by Mbechmann on December 07, 2017, 11:51:15 AM »
Your guitar is indeed build by Yamaki. Its build in 1979 making it very early. Its an amazing instrument, and I would fix it any day of the week. You wont find a better guitar.
« Last post by ship of fools on December 07, 2017, 11:50:15 AM »
are you talking about electrics being built by Yamaki from 77-84 cause I am pretty sure they built acoustics before 77 can see why there is so much confussion records I can guess were not a big priority for them at that time
THANKS, MINE HAS TRANSLUCENT BLACK FINISH WITH DOT INLAYS, NO SB20 ON TRUSS COVER, THE MODEL AND SERIAL ARE INSIDE OF THE PLASTIC ELECTRONICS BACK PLATE, TRYING TO POST PHOTOS BUT CANT SEEM TO GET THEM TO LOAD

How do you know that its an SB20 than? The sn points to this being build around 1983-84 maybe even earlier. The black translucent is extremely rare. In fact, most of the ones I have seen were actually really really dark green. So if its truely black it would be much earlier than 83 :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10