Username: Password:

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Hollowbody & Jazz Series / Re: J14 sighting
« Last post by bigcity2 on August 16, 2017, 04:51:23 AM »
Need to emphasize....the J-14 and J-15 were imported guitars....not made in the USA.  Don't know where that rumor started.
Hollowbody & Jazz Series / J14 sighting
« Last post by ET Music 1 on August 16, 2017, 01:37:26 AM »
General Discussion / Re: WG26 variations
« Last post by YerDugliness on August 15, 2017, 06:32:27 PM »
OK, folks, the WG26S is here. I can't comment on the musical performance yet because as I was trying to tune it up the e string broke. While that was inconvenient, it was not a big issue, but the new strings are still stretching in.

I can comment on appearance, build quality, etc. In that respect this guitar is a real winner. The soundboard's purfling and rosette ring are all abalone shell, which adds an element of bling, but of greater importance to me is the fact that the body, neck and head are bound not with ivoroid, but with actual wood...looks like maple to me. This presents a much more professional-looking appearance and that is welcomed! The factory in CC (would that be Cort, China??) also did a great job with the finish...again, it is flawless. On my WSJ60SELITE  it is possible to see where the bindings "butted together" at the heel of the neck as well at the butt of the guitar...on this WG26S it appears as if the entire guitar's top were bound in its entirety with a single piece of the maple binding that joins up with the sides of the neck of the guitar. It's hard to even see the joint. This is a well appointed guitar!! The serial number starts with "SC", which stands for Samick, China, so a different factory. That may or may not be an issue  ;D

The case was even more of a pleasant surprise...not only is it provided with the guitar, it has an arch top!!! WAY TO GO, Washburn!!! However (!) it is obvious that the case is not fitted to the guitar as there is considerable clearance between the guitar and the case at the waist of the guitar. That is a bit dissapointing, but there was no charge for this well-made case, so I'm happy enough.  :D

Now onto the wood...the graining inside the body is definitely rosewood and the inside graining and outer graining do not match, so the laminate nature of the secondary tonewoods is obvious...although the appearance of the interior woods are obviously a laminate layer, it is an attractive look because of the rosewood used.

The new strings have stretched in pretty well and I must say I agree with Rick's comments. I am almost universally disappointed in how the "G" string sounds on most of my guitars, it is rather "muted" compared to the other strings. Washburn did something right on this model...I'm not sure if it is the small waist on the body or the tonewoods or....well, there could be many reasons, but the balance across the fretboard definitely seems better on this guitar than on my recently acquired WSJ60SELITE, and I thought that one was very good! This is the first steel string guitar that I hear the A/D/G/B strings as having equal "brightness". That is very impressive!

The lutherie/workmanship is exemplary! The guitar came with an extra bridge pin and an extra saddle, so I may do some experimenting with string height by sanding down the extra saddle, but I am NOT unhappy with what I have already, so it won't be much.

I really like the neck. I need a rather thick neck due to an industrial accident I suffered in the 1970s, requiring a bone graft on my left thumb...which might explain why my Epiphone AJ500RC is my favorite guitar...the instrument has a "V-neck" profile and that really feels good in my hand. This guitar has a neck that is wide enough for me, and although it is not as "thick" as the V-neck I like so much, I would give it an A-/B+ for playability because of the width of the neck.

It is a very attractive instrument, with all the rosewood, but the top is not the light "reddish" color that I expect from cedar, it appears lighter like spruce. I have no doubt it IS cedar, though...it just sounds and plays right, and with all the MOP it's very attractive, to boot! It's definitely a keeper!!!

BTW, Rick...the neck on mine has the scarf joint between the first and second fret, too...but the serial number starts with 10, so it must be a 2010 model. Now that I think about it, the WSJ60SELITE is a 2013 model, so these have been sitting around for a while.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)

Well, it's quickly becoming clear that there are a few guitars that won't get much playtime for a while. Now that the strings are stretched in the guitar tunes "...like  buttah!" I spend very little time tuning, so the tuners are getting my respect. I'm also digging on how easily the guitar plays, and I credit the neck for that nice surprise. It is surprising how easy it is to throw in some vibrato, and hammer-ons, liftoffs and slides are solid, too, thanks to the great fretwork and cedar top.
Yeah, I'm kicking my own behind for waiting so long! An added bonus...b/c of the fairly exaggerated waist on this model it rests OH! SO WELL on my leg (I play in the classical position)...no need to "contain" the guit on my leg frees up the right arm and allows it to be held away from the guitar, which results in notably improved tone.

Get ya one of these while they are still available...I would get myself a second one if I didn't have so many guits already.  :-\

Cheers for Washburn this time  :D

Dugly 8)

Vintage and Rare Washburns / Re: Washburn D-94LTD
« Last post by YerDugliness on August 15, 2017, 07:18:02 AM »
Washburn has fairly consistently followed a system of model designation over the years...if the model number has no letters following the model designation it is an all-laminate instrument. According to this system, your D94LTD is an all-laminate guitar...maybe!!!

I say "maybe" because the LTD designation usually indicates some special construction techniques. For example, Washburn produced a very highly regarded model (D10S) and a very special model of the D10S line called the D10SLTD. THE "LTD" model had enhanced lutherie, such as wood bindings rather than the white "ivoroid" bindings.

So...yours is an "LTD" model and that usually means something special...we do have a number of historically knowledgable forum members, perhaps they will chime in with more information about this unusual model. Stay tumed!!

Cheers!

Dugly8)
Vintage and Rare Washburns / Washburn D-94LTD
« Last post by 59 texas proud on August 14, 2017, 02:14:22 PM »
I purchased a D-94 LTD several mos. ago and cannot find any info on these guitars.  I don't know if this is considered a fair, good or better than good.  I'm assuming a solid spruce top laminated B/S, but anything else related to quality on these?  It is a great looking guitar!  Any help?  Thanks
Hollowbody & Jazz Series / Re: HB35 very dark sounding
« Last post by Ajm558 on August 14, 2017, 10:12:23 AM »
The most common answer to his problem is to build a new harness for the wiring, specifically using some cts pots and some high quality caps.  To make the tone brighter, I would suggest Orange Drop caps (22 in the bridge pickup and 15 in the neck). This should be cheaper than pickups, and should be the fix you are looking for. 

FWIW, I did both the harness and pickups for my HB32, a darker sounding guitar than the HB35.  The pickups were DiMarzio Air Classic neck and the DiMarzio MoJoe in the bridge.  The MoJoe is very hot compared to stock, but it is not muddy due to the harness. 

Good luck.  Let us know what you decide to do.
General Discussion on Washburn Electric Guitars / Wanted Washburn A-20
« Last post by Gitarguy on August 13, 2017, 09:36:46 PM »
Hi,

I am looking for a Washburn A-20 preferably in black but would consider other colors too. I am not interested in  Kahlers or Wonder bars equipped guitars but v-trem is ok.

Thanks, Billy
Signature Series / Re: Dimebolt 333
« Last post by Lallasa on August 13, 2017, 01:46:06 PM »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Washburn-Dime-333-Dimebolt-w-Hard-case-/322609144242?hash=item4b1d00e1b2:g:IPEAAOSwa5JZc68W

I am not an expert,but think yours might cost little bit more as the condition is much better plus you have all the documents that confirm the original origin of the guitar.

Probably people here can give you better answers than me on price, but think you can have a good deal.
Acoustic Guitar Players Post Comments & Questions / Re: Sup!
« Last post by wrmurphy on August 13, 2017, 01:38:10 PM »
Shiner, good to see you're still around. There's been little action around here since you and some of the others dropped away. I'm glad to see you still have your tractor and riding in good style.  murph
Signature Series / Re: Dimebolt 333
« Last post by LostSoul1981 on August 13, 2017, 11:26:22 AM »
Still up for grabs.
UK only, as stated in original post.

Just to note, I had pretty much forgotten I'd posted this here, which is why I haven't been keeping an eye on this.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10