Username: Password:

Author Topic: Washburn C104SCE Classical Electric  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Cord

• View Profile
Washburn C104SCE Classical Electric
« on: November 15, 2007, 08:08:37 AM »
Although I have been playing guitars for 50 years or so and because there aren't any Washburn dealers remotely close to me, until this past week I have never see or played a Washburn guitar and I know little or nothing about them.

Does anybody in cybre space have any experience with the C104 classical electric; i.e. how do you like them, what are your experiences?

Please share with me as I am anxious to know more about them.

Thanks,

Cord

Offline ship of fools

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 09:46:37 AM »
Sorry Cord I have never tried one but found this I hope it helps you determine if its what you want.
http://www.washburn.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1426&SearchTerms=C-104
Ship

Millenium Brigade
Rover Brigade
Another WAGJammer
Timbercraft Brigade J52SW
and other great sounding and playing guitars
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 09:47:07 AM by ship of fools »
Musician, Numismatic,
Retired and living the good life

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 03:03:37 PM »
Hi cord Welcome To the forum, Hope you stick around.

Offline Cord

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 03:38:22 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by magoo99

Hi cord Welcome To the forum, Hope you stick around.

Well Magoo, I'm still here.

The guitar is quite a change for me because I am used to the much greater volume of the steel stringed Martins and Gibsons, etc.  Additionally,  the flat fretboard is a major change for me.

Because it is a used guitar, I don't have an owner's manual.   I find that when it is hooked to an amplifier I cannot turn the volume up very high at all on the preamp because the sound is too harsh, particularly on the number one string.  I have no idea why that string would be so much louder and sharper than the rest, but it is.  So at this point in time I am at a loss on who to ask.

I noticed last night that the saddle really does sit level so loosened the strings and took the saddle off.  There is a pizeo under the saddle but no shims.

It is sitting a bit higher on the base side.  The wire to the pizeo comes up through small hole on the base side and I suspect that that is the reason why it sits a bit higher.

I tapped the saddle near the #1 E string and then near the #6 E string and it seems to be that the sound of the tapping is louder on the side nearest the #1 string.

Also, a part of my problem is that I am used to the curve of my other guitars, so I have developed a height when I am using my thumb or flat pick that allowed me to clear the #1 E string because the curve of the strings places that string slightly lower than the movement of my pick/thumb; thereby avoiding that string.

However, with the flat saddle/strings the #1 E strings is a bit higher and I am accidentally hitting with my pick/thumb . . .so I guess that I have to adjust.

I expect that the guitar needs a lot of playing . . .I think that the strings that I took off today were the originals.  This instrument hasn't even begun to open up yet.

I believe that the saddle is plastic, so I may make a bone saddle for it.  I think I have some bone that size.

Are you very familiar with the Washburn classical guitars?  What is your opinion of them?