Username: Password:

Author Topic: Buzz Feiten tuning offsets...Proprietary?!?!  (Read 4401 times)

Offline kwadguy

• View Profile
Buzz Feiten tuning offsets...Proprietary?!?!
« on: December 13, 2007, 12:31:26 PM »
I'm trying to get a list of the offsets that Washburn uses/recommends for the Buzz Feiten system on their guitars. I have a strobe tuner that will allow me to program in the offsets.

Unfortunately, Washburn does not seem to have provided the offsets anywhere. I even contacted them, and the CSR who replied told me he doesn't have them and thinks they're proprietary.

This, if true, is not too smart. You need to be able to adjust the intonation. Even good guitars can go out of wack due to changes in strings/environment/setup. And, of course, you also need to be able to do the open tunings. The (tune to E at this fretted note) trick doesn't really cut it for a precise tuning.

The tunings are also not provided at the Buzz Feiten site.

I have seen some tuning offsets noted on the Petersen (Strobe tuners) site, but I've also seen indication elsewhere that not everyone uses the same Buzz Feiten offsets. (I'm not sure why that would be...)

Somewhere I recall seeing a Washburn web page that indicated that setup professionals could get a sheet with Washburn's Buzz Feiten offsets. Has anyone seen such a sheet or know for sure the offsets that Washburn uses?

Offline Burner

• View Profile
    • http://amp-rocks.com
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 12:49:37 PM »
Intonation(tuning) of a Buzz Feiten guitar is not easy to get 100% if you don't own a strobetuner or maybe Korg's BF prepaired tuner..

But found this how you do it with a normal tuner..I have not tested it out yet but looks ok to me..
It's from the US patent something..
Link Buzz PATENT

1. Tune open E string (5th Octave) to pitch standard pitch (00 cents).

2. Press string at 12th fret.

3. Compare open string pitch with 12th fret pitch. Adjust saddle so that 12th fret pitch reads 00 on an equal tempered tuner. Again, this is our reference string (like A-440 on a piano) and receives no temperment.

4. Tune open B string (5th octave) to (+01 cents).

5. Press string at 12th fret

6. Compare open string pitch with 12th fret pitch. Adjust saddle so that 12th fret pitch reads 00 cents.

7. Tune open G string (4th octave) to -02 cents.

8. Press string at 12th fret.

9. Compare open string pitch with 12th fret pitch. Adjust saddle so that 12th fret pitch reads +01 cents.

10. Tune open D string (4th octave) to -02 cents.

11. Press string at 12th fret.

12. Compare open string pitch with 12th fret pitch. Adjust saddle so that 12th fret pitch reads +01 cents on an equal tempered tuner.

13. Tune open A string (4th octave) to -02 cents.

14. Press string at 12th fret.

15. Compare open string pitch with 12th fret pitch. Adjust saddle so that 12th fret pitch reads 00 cents.

16. Tune open E string (3rd octave) to -02 cents.

17. Press string at 12th fret.

18. Compare open string pitch with 12th fret pitch. Adjust saddle so that 12th fret pitch reads 00 cents.

ship of fools

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 08:51:16 AM »
Hey Burner that is a great site lots of good info.louis

Millenium Brigade
Rover Brigade
Another WAGJammer
Timbercraft Brigade J52SW

and other great sounding and playing guitars