Username: Password:

Author Topic: George Washburn M-7S  (Read 3461 times)

Offline slipQ

• View Profile
    • http://www.newriverbluegrass.net
George Washburn M-7S
« on: April 27, 2008, 08:55:44 AM »
have the chance to purchase a George Washburn M-7S serial # 1762.

It is a 2 point Oval hole, great tone.

I would appreciate your input as to year made (1962?) It is in original case and there seems to be no structural concerns.
The owner nor myself know what its worth. It belonged to his Dad who recently passed. Obviously I would like to pick it up for as little as possible but I also want to be fair.

Thanks in Advance.

Offline MarkD

• View Profile
George Washburn M-7S
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 08:28:42 AM »
A book on Washburn history by John Teagle notes this about the M-7SW - if indeed its the same model you are asking about:

A short lived reissue of the late-teens early 20's Lyon & Healy Style B was available for a short time in the early 80's, built with carved tops and backs.  Called the Country Mandolin, the M7SW had a higher (model) number than the Jethro Burns models only because all the other numbers were being used. This is not to suggest that they were not nicely designed, having the two point asymetrical body shape of the old Washburn/Lyon&Healy A' and B's, and the sytlish peghead of the old B's and C's.  The black binding and oval soundhole also reached back to the 20's as did the solid spruce and book matched solid maple.  

The sales flyer for this model lists as features:

Country Mandolin M-7SW  
Original extended cutaway design
Hand carved solid spruce top
Ebony fingerboard with pearl dot inlays
Adjustable compensated rosewood bridge
Washburn style headstock
Hand-carved curly maple back
Available in tobacco sunburst and grained brown

Picture shows it in a rectangular hard shell case. These are pretty rare models and most I have seen have been highly regarded by their owners.  As I recall, the early 80’s Washburn Jethro Burns F-5 style mandos were Model numbered as M4, M5S (or SW) and M6S (or SW) – and M6SW was the high end model with hand carved solid spruce top, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard and bridge, flamed AAA maple sides and back, and very cool “rope” purfling on the top edges.  As noted above, the M7SW had a higher model number than the Jethro Burns F models only because all the other numbers were being used (the M2 and M3 were A style lower grade instruments). These Washburn mandos from the early 80’s era were made in Japan and were usually built with very good quality control and a thinner finish - as a result, they generally sound very nice with good tone and volume.  I recall seeing one of these M7Sw's at shop a few years ago and I am pretty sure they wanted $700 or so – these retailed at $1200 new so one could have likely found one new for under $1000.  Hope that helps.

Markd

Offline slipQ

• View Profile
George Washburn M-7S
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 08:17:53 PM »
Mark,

Thank you for your help.  I really appreciate it.

Mike

Offline slipQ

• View Profile
George Washburn M-7S
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 08:21:21 PM »
The one I looked at did not have a W on the model number.  Just an S. What the difference be?  Also the serial number....does it not indicate year made like some of the other models?

Mike

Offline MarkD

• View Profile
George Washburn M-7S
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 08:22:59 AM »
I think the S or SW just meant Solid Wood on the top - and I have seen the S and SW used interchangably so I am guessing they are the same. I also think the serial numbers did contain the year in there somewhere - but based on the book, this model was only made for a year or two in the early 1980's and not too many seem to have been made. Only heard from a few folks who had one or played one - all with pretty good reviews - but still, it is and was a fairly low to medium priced imported instrument that I should think would be fairly valued somewhere between $500-1,000 - although here is a shop with one for sale - their asking price is $1200.
http://www.finemusicalinstruments.com/item188390.ctlg

Markd
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 01:39:43 PM by MarkD »

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
George Washburn M-7S
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 03:57:18 PM »
Hi SlipQ...Nice Mandolin congrats.

Markd,  great Info good read thanks for sharing.