Username: Password:

Author Topic: Washburn B18 banjo  (Read 17192 times)

Offline banjocharlie2

• View Profile
Washburn B18 banjo
« on: September 11, 2008, 04:13:43 PM »
Hello. I hope I am going about this right and not doing anything wrong about where I ask the questions.
    I bought a Washburn B 18 banjo around 1982. I paid $1000.00 back then (not cheap but not expensive either). I had a set up done on it awhile ago and was asked a few questions I couldn't answer.
    The serial # is 79031. It is written on the paper inside the banjo. It has lots of inlay on the neck and is very heavy. It has a raised head (which I don't see alot of anymore). I was wondering where it was made and any info. I can get. I don't know if Washburn still makes its instruments in the USA. Any info. would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Charlie (banjocharlie2)[:)]

Offline svgustin

• View Profile
Washburn B18 banjo
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 10:57:16 PM »
Hey Charlie, Welcome to the forum and don't worry about doing anything wrong. Don't think that's possible really, especially on this side. I can't help you with your banjo questions. Sorry about that. But hopefully someone may pipe up with something for you. Anyway, good luck and post a photo! We all love lookin'
cheers
Scott

Washburn WD54SW
Gold Tone(PBSM)Resonator

Offline RacingStude

• View Profile
    • http://RacingStudebakers.com
Washburn B18 banjo
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 05:27:42 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by banjocharlie2

Hello. I hope I am going about this right and not doing anything wrong about where I ask the questions.
    I bought a Washburn B 18 banjo around 1982. I paid $1000.00 back then (not cheap but not expensive either). I had a set up done on it awhile ago and was asked a few questions I couldn't answer.
    The serial # is 79031. It is written on the paper inside the banjo. It has lots of inlay on the neck and is very heavy. It has a raised head (which I don't see alot of anymore). I was wondering where it was made and any info. I can get. I don't know if Washburn still makes its instruments in the USA. Any info. would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Charlie (banjocharlie2)[:)]

Hey Charlie!

The way the Washburn banjo serial numbers usually work is, the first two numbers are the year it was made and the last numbers indicate it's place in the line. It looks like yours is a '79, and # 31 made that year.

Washburn instruments were made in the USA a long time ago, but have been made in Korea for about 40 years now. They make some very fine, VERY underrated instruments. Your model is not made any more, but is probably, at the least, on par with their better/best offerings today.

I believe that you've done exactly the right thing for your Washburn, got a pro setup. With that, you can be proud to jump right on in anywhere with it, it'll never shame ya. [;)]

I'm sure that your banjo is much comparable to my B-17. I cannot tell you how many compliments I've had with my B-17. I KNOW it's true because I've had to lend it to so many times to my friends to do gigs with it. It's appeared on a LOT more stages than I have! Just a few weeks ago, a friend used it in a band competition, and won!

Heck, the little B-12 Washburs, ('82 model), that I sold about 2 months ago is is the ONLY banjo for a fella who plays in two bands! No lie, the same fella was gonna buy a '77 Gibson, but I think that sorta got put on hold after he started playing that B-12. His comments were, Geeze, loud and clean, all the way up the neck, great action, just as good as the Gibson!.

Yepper, get a pro setup on a Washburn, then get out'a the way.....

Sonny
RacingStudebakers.com
Sonny
RacingStudebakers.com

Fast cars, food, women, banjo pickin'... ALL Good!

Offline PhilMW

• View Profile
Washburn B18 banjo
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 10:47:11 PM »
Charlie
Just bought a B18 on eBay in August - Seller thought it was a B21(wrong) The sticker with the Serial #was missing but there was a picture (perfect match)in the new Washburn Book by John Teagle. Turns out it's just a variation (Raised Head)of the B16 and they only made it for a few years - It was dropped in the early 80's. Basically it's the same as the Flagship B16 except for the raised Tone Ring and slightly different inlay. I heard that Washburn had the Top End Banjo's made in Japan??? The book did't say. I had a professional set up on mine and he was really impressed - I paid $535 and it was in mint condition. I was also told by two pro's you'd pay about $2000 for something equal today.

Offline eknjr

• View Profile
Washburn B18 banjo
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 09:15:31 PM »
I bought B18 in June of this year it real clean looks almost new all I had to do was replace the first 6 frets, every one that has played it call it sweet and realy good sound am going to put a frosted head on it.
Ken Noland

Offline Junior88

• The young gun
    • View Profile
Washburn B18 banjo
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 11:42:03 PM »
I'll tell ya what you did wrong! You took up the Banjo insteadof the Mando! LOL

Just screwin with ya, but sounds like a good lil lady, and I think everyone else pretty well nailed it on the head...

The small, but mighty collection:
Washburn N2, Barracuda Strat Copy, Art & Lutherie Acoustic, Greg Bennet D-5 Acoustic,Rover RM-50B Mandolin

Offline extramusical.com

• View Profile
    • http://www.extramusical.com
Washburn B18 banjo
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 10:30:17 PM »
Can you post a picture, going to check out Washburn's current banjo lineup.

Offline eknjr

• View Profile
Washburn B18 banjo
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 06:08:22 PM »
I wold like to post photos of my B but can not  see how to or where.
Ken Noland

Offline ship of fools

• View Profile
Washburn B18 banjo
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 09:03:50 AM »
Well most folks here use Photobucket its free and easy to upload your pics there and then copy the last img and post to this site.Ship

Millenium Brigade
Rover Brigade
Another WAGJammer
Timbercraft Brigade J52SW
D-78SW
D-68SW
DM2000S Millenium limited edition
and other great sounding and playing guitars
Musician, Numismatic,
Retired and living the good life

Offline eknjr

• View Profile
Washburn B18 banjo
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 04:44:50 PM »
Ken Noland

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
Washburn B18 banjo
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 05:17:57 PM »
Nice banjo Ken, Whats with the Strap?...Did you make it?

Offline eknjr

• View Profile
Washburn B18 banjo
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 08:27:40 PM »
No I had it made for me thought he did a real good job
Ken Noland

Offline eknjr

• View Profile
Washburn B18 banjo
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 08:33:54 PM »
I enjoy the sound since I change to a frosted head .
Ken Noland

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
Washburn B18 banjo
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 09:27:25 PM »
It is a nice job bro, I like.