Username: Password:

Author Topic: So what's the difference?  (Read 2527 times)

Offline Mountaineermaniac

• View Profile
So what's the difference?
« on: December 05, 2009, 07:58:11 AM »
Hello all.  I am new to the banjo scene and am currently looking for a nice starter banjo, but I also want a quality instrument.  I am curious to know what is the difference between an Oscar Schmidt OB-5 and a traditional Washburn B-9?  Is it kind of like a Squire v.s. Fender or what?  Also, the B-8 banjo that comes with Washburn's starter pak, how does that instrument measure up?  How does a Gibson M-200 measure up to a Washburn B-9?  Just curious, thanks for any help you might be able to provide.  I am just throwing out these models because it seems as though they were all recommended as nice starter banjos.  I really don't know anything about the J. Reynolds, Trinity River or Johnson banjos.

Offline gregjones

• Perpetual Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 07:46:34 PM »
He used the words nice and banjo in the same sentence, without fire or explosion!!!!

[:0]
If it's got tuners, tits, or tires----it's gonna cost you.

"There are no wrong notes, only advanced harmonies." - Frank Zappa

Offline Junior88

• The young gun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 08:06:23 PM »
Heh heh, Please excuse Greg.. Us Mandolin players have something against snare drums with 2x4's attached to em...

Just ribbin with ya, but im sure someone will be along to help.

The small, but mighty collection:
Washburn N2, Barracuda Strat Copy, Art & Lutherie Acoustic, Greg Bennet D-5 Acoustic,Rover RM-50B Mandolin

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 08:17:39 PM »
Hey mountaineer, Welcome the the WBF. i think the OS  and the washburn is the same as the Gibson/epi kind of thing...IMO, Gibson is in its own class when it comes to Banjos..no real comparison there.
The B9 seems like a great little starter..I play a tenor banjo, I have a Epiphone TB75 and love it.  If i was going to buy a 5 string I would def get a washy, they do have a pretty good name with some Banjo players.  but like everything else if its not a Gibson most players turn their noses at it.
I would also Throw in a few extra Bucks and get a better starter and would stay away fr the starter kits..this would save you the trouble of buying or trading up, when you quickly out grow the starter kit and you will if you play at all.
Good luck
Magoo

Offline Mountaineermaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 09:08:22 PM »
Boy you mandolin players sure stick together.  Joel Sweeny would roll over in his grave if he heard that the five string was now referred to as a snare drum attached to a two by four...hahaha.  Thanks for the advice folks.  I found what I think to be a pretty good deal on an Epiphone (Gibson) MB=200.  It is about a year old and has been sitting in a closet, needs new strings and needs to be cleaned up a bit, looks like some corrosion or something on some of the chrome parts.  Any suggestions on how to get that stuff off?  Still sitting on the fence for now.  I am going to need all the help I can get, I am about as tone deaf as the american people are to Obama's healthcare plan...lol.  But I sure do love bluegrass music.

Offline Junior88

• The young gun
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 09:25:26 PM »
I would say WD-40 for the rust... That stuff is like a magic potion.. But I dunno, I'm just a Mando player [;)]

Those closet finds are the best!

The small, but mighty collection:
Washburn N2, Barracuda Strat Copy, Art & Lutherie Acoustic, Greg Bennet D-5 Acoustic,Rover RM-50B Mandolin

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 10:37:53 PM »
Mybe the clean up question would be better adressed in the Acoustic guitar part of the washy guitar fourm.
I used a peice of fine steel wool to remove some stuff on one of my mandolins but you have to be careful around wood parts, if you have to go close to wood parts, maybe you could tape it with masking tape. I have also seen a luither clean some old tuners that were tarnished with water and bakeing soda and lots of cleaning. Don't know if this is much help.
Thought I'd try.

Offline gregjones

• Perpetual Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 08:02:38 AM »
There was a real cool guy that popped in here a little while back.  I think his user-name is racingstude.  He posted some about b@nj0s but I think he may have gotten tired of answering his own posts. Banjo players seem to lurk by themselves around here.  He has a website about racing Studebakers---really cool.  He's a real nice guy and knows a bunch---contact him, I bet he'll be more than happy to help.

There's also a place on the web.  I'm not sure but it's something like banjohut.com or something.  Never been there----it would be like crossing the Mason-Dixon line.[;)]

A group of banjo players was standing around before the nightly jam at a festival.  One of them said Boys, we'd better spread out.  They could get us all with one grenade.[:D]

OBAMA---Oh Boy, America Messed-up Again.

Offline Zeroroaster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 11:27:54 PM »
Hey Mountaineermaniac,

I'll go out for this one. Being a dobro player, all the shots miss...[:)]

I used to have an Epiphone MB-200. Good starter unit. Is it a Gibson? Absolutely not. In fact, all the pot metal units coming from the Chinese buffet of banjos are pretty much one in the same. Whether it says Washburn, Savannah (Johnson), Epiphone, whatever, it's peas in a pod. That said, what really makes or breaks these things is the setup. I've been playing banjo for over 25 years now (and yeah, it takes a strong man to admit that) and most of the time, if a banjo sucks, it's not setup properly. I've played some pretty high dollar units that weren't much better than a canoe paddle.

Unfortunately it is really hard to find a banjo guy who knows his stuff. Good luck with the hunt!...as for the MB-200 witht he corrosion, a light 3M plastic scrub pad will take that off. Just remember to lightly oil the fingerboard after.

Oh and definitely avoid the starter kits. Yes, sometimes you can go too cheap. Those are junk at the best of times. As a side note, check out the Recording King banjos if you have a chance...they're awesome. This being a Washburn site, I've also played some really hot Washburn banjos (and mandos) and no, they don't get enough credit. Yes the Gibson crowd does poo-pooh them but believe me, it's pure out and out snobbery.
No matter how much your guitar cost, if you suck, you suck.

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 10:43:22 PM »
quote:

I just Love this Sig...LMAO

Offline Zeroroaster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 12:17:49 AM »
*bows graciously*...

Thanks magoo...we like to call a spade a spade out here...[:D]

Offline gregjones

• Perpetual Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 05:21:19 PM »
That's why I buy cheap mandos.

A man's gotta know his limitations.

I suck and an Eastman is more mando than I'll ever need.  But, having bought it from Dennis at The Mandolin Store, it's set up as well as a mandolin can be and plays great.

That allows me to suck a little less.[8D]

OBAMA---Oh Boy, America Messed-up Again.

Offline gregjones

• Perpetual Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 05:41:50 PM »
Actually, any Washburn would be more mando than I ever need.  They just haven't made anything for those of us that think of two points as a description of a mandolin in several decades.

Now, I'm on the search for a mandola.  Washburn, by their own limitations of offering only the same thing as a host of other importers do, excludes themselves from my considerations.  If they don't sell it---I can't buy it.

Not every one who tries to play mandolin aspires to play bluegrass on a F model.

Offline WB-Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.washburn.com
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 09:21:40 AM »
Hey gregjones,
I have a proto mandola.  Not sure how many of these we'd sell.  What do you think?

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 10:04:37 AM »
I love it nick, Greg won't like it that much It don't have any points...LOL
It looks a lot like the custom one I have.
What kinds of wood are used?