Username: Password:

Author Topic: Am I getting Scamed  (Read 3896 times)

Offline retnuh85

• View Profile
Am I getting Scamed
« on: February 01, 2010, 08:07:58 PM »
I have a question I am looking into buying a D10s and I was in a little shop and he was selling what looked to be a D10sce in black for only $200 dollars it looks good and sounded good dispite being a little out of tune. I am fairly new to guitars so I do not know a whole lot but I have looked in some other shops and I know the D10sce was going significantly more than 200. He said it was because of a slight flaw on the head of the guitar and he pointed out a minor paint flaw on the top of the head. He had alot of Washburn guitars that all looked and played well and seemed to be the real deal. What was really fishy about the whole thing though is when I looked at the model on the inside sticker it actually had D10CEQ BK and no serial number Ive tried to look up the D10CEQ BK but I couldnt find anything with the BK which Im pretty sure means black and I know the D10CEQ is a quilted top and the guitar is all black so is there a D10CEQ BK or am I getting scamed I can try and go get a pic of the guitar so i can post it.
Hunter

Offline DontTreadOnMe

• View Profile
Am I getting Scamed
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 02:31:27 PM »
welcome to the forum, there's lots of great information and people here.  Those sound like B-stock guitars that did not pass some factory inspection.  Washburn has sold those B-stocks to a number of dealers for awhile, and is seems like some are true 'finish flaws' and some have actual structural problems.  Biggest thing is that you will not get the Lifetime Warranty as you would with a first-quality, so any problems that come up later with it are on your nickel.
You'll see the term 'caveat emptor' (buyer beware) around here, and a lot of it is related to these B-stock guitars, and some related to new guitars as well.  

Some folks have bought them and are perfectly happy, others have not been, just depends on what the flaw is.  Sometimes the sellers are reluctant to disclose other flaws, so just be careful.

Double check your model numbers.  You said D10SCE at first, then D10CEQ BK.  Typically if there is not an 'S' in the model, it is not a solid top, it's a laminate top.  The solid tops are going to sound better, and the laminate tops are cheaper.

DTOM (The poster formerly known as G-reg)

The Washburns:
1995 D12S (x2)
1998 D12SCE
2006 D56SWCE
2007 B52SW (fate still in question)
and
1947 Vega Duo Tron
Guitars, I have a few - but then again, too few to mention

Offline retnuh85

• View Profile
Am I getting Scamed
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 02:49:05 PM »
Well it looks like a D10SCE but on the Model Sticker it says D10CEQ. Do you get something that says it has a lifetime waranty like certificate or anything because I was looking at another model and he said its new and comes with the lifetime waranty so will there be documentation of that so he is not just telling me that. I just want to make sure all of his guitars are not B-Stock guitars.
Hunter

Offline bluegrassflatpicker

• View Profile
Am I getting Scamed
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 05:33:25 PM »
Welcome to the the forum.

I have a B-stock D121S and it has a small B stamped into the back of the head stalk. Would that be what he showed you?

Offline Quinn Spalpeen

• View Profile
Am I getting Scamed
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 07:55:58 PM »

Welcome to the zoo Ret,

That little B brand/stamp into the back of the headstock should but might not be there if it's B-stock.  The part that would raise a red flag for me would be the fact that a brick & mortar store would be selling that guitar as new, $100+ less than a large on-line retailer can sell it.  

The BK on the end means Black w/Kase. Washburn for some reason likes to use K for case, rather than the word case.

You might run the information you posted above by Pike over on the Washburn Acoustic Players Comments forum. Over there is a lot more people and you'll get a ton of good honest advice,,,,

There is nothing new under the sun. .... Sherlock Holmes

Washburn F10S
Washburn WD114S
Washburn J4
Martin 00-15
Trinity College Bouzouki
Raul Emiliani Model 928 (Stradivari model)
Scott Cao STV-950 (Hellier model)
Eastman Master Model 905 (Stradivari model)
Roland F-110 Digital Piano
Marshall AS50D
Fender Super Champ XD

« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 07:57:49 PM by Quinn Spalpeen »
Nothing under the sun is new Watson. .... Sherlock Holmes

Washburn F10S (From Funky Munky, no G.C. stuff for me.)
Martin 00-15
Martin 000-28
Trinity College Bouzouki
Raul Emiliani Model 928 (Stradivari model)
Scott Cao STV-950 (Hellier model)
Eastman Master Model 905 (Stradivari model)
Roland F-110

Offline mcloud10

• View Profile
Am I getting Scamed
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 08:52:01 PM »
D10
C=Cutaway
E=Electronic
Q=quilted
BK=black

This guitar does not have a solid top.

My son has a D10QBK, which is a quilted top, black D10, no solid top, either, but it sounds great anyway!

Mark

-------------------
Washburn W240
Washburn D10SCE
Washburn D10QBK (Son's)
Washburn C10N Classical
Sivertone Model 319
Ibanez DCL St.Chorus 1985
Rocktron Compressor
DiMarzio Acoustic Pickup
Peavey Backstage Amp
Lots of Smiles ;)
-------------------
'71 Yamaha FG-300 (in restoration)
'73 Washburn W240
'08 Washburn D10SCE
'08 Washburn D10QBK (Son's)
'09 Washburn C104SCE Classical (Son's)
'10 Washburn WC150SW Classical
Washburn Rover RO20 Travel Guitar
Behringer ACX450

Offline mcloud10

• View Profile
Am I getting Scamed
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 08:53:56 PM »
BTW, my son's serial number is stamped on the neck support inside the body, not the sticker.

-------------------
Washburn W240
Washburn D10SCE
Washburn D10QBK (Son's)
Washburn C10N Classical
Sivertone Model 319
Ibanez DCL St.Chorus 1985
Rocktron Compressor
DiMarzio Acoustic Pickup
Peavey Backstage Amp
Lots of Smiles ;)
-------------------
'71 Yamaha FG-300 (in restoration)
'73 Washburn W240
'08 Washburn D10SCE
'08 Washburn D10QBK (Son's)
'09 Washburn C104SCE Classical (Son's)
'10 Washburn WC150SW Classical
Washburn Rover RO20 Travel Guitar
Behringer ACX450

Offline retnuh85

• View Profile
Am I getting Scamed
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 11:25:31 PM »
thanks for all the input I am going by there tomorrow to look at it again I will look and see if it has the stamp.
Hunter