Username: Password:

Author Topic: Washburn headless double-neck Steinberger style  (Read 6078 times)

Offline Zonker_rob

• View Profile
Washburn headless double-neck Steinberger style
« on: January 14, 2005, 12:14:49 AM »
Hello Board!

I have a bit of a rarity I think, Ive had it for years and cannot find information on it! It's a Washburn Bantam double-neck headless Steinberger-style bass, fretless on the bottom neck, fretted on top. I also haver the original dealer spiral-bound catalog and price list. I can't find the printed material, but I'm pretty sure it's a 1982. The serial number is six digits (two identical three-digit groups together).

I can only find TWO references to this bass on Google, period. One is someone asking if it exists, one is someone saying they saw it in a studio they were recording in, but the neck were described as reversed from mine!

So, is there a brain trust of people here that knows anything about this bass? How many were made? Are my necks backward? Is this a prototype?

Thanks for reading this all, hope it interested you!

Robert

zonker_rob   at   yahoo

Offline Accept2

• View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/accept2/sets/72157601034910181/
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 01:57:31 PM »
Its a B-62 model, Im not sure of the exact production dates, but they were produced up to about 1984/5. They listed back then for $1,499, which was really expensive back then. All of them were made in Japan. Not sure of exact production numbers, but a good guesstimate would be about 200 per year. They were all available with the fretted/fretless neck..........

Offline lowdown

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 08:20:23 PM »
Hi Robert,

I have a slightly different version of the bass.  Bought it new from a music dealer in 1985.  He had a contract to buy their prototypes but this one was so strange they called him before shipping.  The dealer only took delivery from Washburn because I happened to be in the store when they called him.  We have opposite configurations as my fretless neck is on the top and fretted on the bottom.  Toggle switches control which neck is active and its possible to have both at once.    I'd love to get more information and see a scan of the catalog if you still have one available.  There are rumors that Rudy Sarzo played one but I can't find any confirmation of this.  The bass player for Bob Seger (sorry don't know his name) plays one in the Shakedown video.  Really nice bass.  The fretless neck is the best I've ever played and I've been playing for almost 30 years.  Fretless just sings without any effort at all.  Bit of a heavy bugger though isn't she?

Craig

Offline sdt

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/pozeurroxx
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 10:16:41 PM »
Rudy Sarzo plays a double neck headless bass in the whitesnake video Is this Love

Offline Beastmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 03:00:20 PM »
Zonker (or anyone else):  Are you interested in selling your doubleneck?  I realize your post is really old, but figured it was worth a shot !!  I had one of these years ago, but sold it in LA.  Thanks.