Username: Password:

Author Topic: J-7  (Read 3164 times)

Offline abdef

• View Profile
J-7
« on: September 18, 2010, 07:11:11 AM »
Just bought a J-7 from World Music supply in Muncie, IN over the internet (stupid idea). Great deal, but was a bit of a headache. First one showed up with defect in the finish (overspray and drips). It took 2 weeks to get it shipped back and a new one to arrive and it has a scratched pick guard! Don't these people inspect these things. They are sending me a new pic guard. The Washburn Sales rep was very helpful.

Overall, I love it. It is beautiful guitar (if I could figure out how to add pictures to this message I would). Anybody willing to help, just let me know how to do it and I will add them.

Best of all is the sound. It is amazing. Add a little Chorus and Delay and it sounds as good or better than any Gibson I have or have had at a fraction of the price. I just hope it gets better with time as my Gibson did. It truly is a wonderful and warm sounding guitar.

As far as the flat wound discussion on this board, they really do make a huge difference if you are looking for a warm sound without the noise of sliding your fingers up and down the fretboard. Those that say it makes no difference and misguided!!

I love this guitar and plan on playing it to death, at least for the next 6 months or so until I find it's voice.

Offline abdef

• View Profile
J-7
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 01:09:08 PM »
Well it has been 1.5 months since I started this adventure and I have had the guitar replaced twice. I spoke way too soon!!! The first J-7 has a defect on the body, the second had a damaged pick guard and  laquer missing from the shoulder of the guitar. All new guitars. BTW, the Washburn pick guard (the one they send you when you have to replace it, does not fit the guitar. The pick ups are in the wrong place or the pick guard is cut incorrectly. They have sent me 3 so far and none fit even though the P.O. says it's a J-7 pick guard. It turns out that these guitars are never inspected or adjusted. Both needed bridge and neck adjustments. They do sound pretty but are not easy to play. Washburn sucks as a company. Their guitars are not that great either. I wish I could get my money back but I have been dealing directly with the company and although the folks I have been dealing with are OK (they really don't care but have been helpful)the original dealer won't refund my money. I will never buy a Washburn again. I am waiting for another replacement. It is supposed to be here but has not shown up as promised!!! Never again!!!!

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
J-7
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 08:06:47 PM »
Best of all is the sound. It is amazing. Add a little Chorus and Delay and it sounds as good or better than any Gibson I have or have had at a fraction of the price. I just hope it gets better with time as my Gibson did. It truly is a wonderful and warm sounding guitar.

I guess we can disregard the review then.

Offline boynamedsuse

• View Profile
J-7
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 10:25:50 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by abdef
I love this guitar and plan on playing it to death, at least for the next 6 months or so until I find it's voice.

Sorry, but if you are unhappy you obviously have not yet found its voice, so you need to keep playing it--perhaps for as much as 4 1/2 more months.

A Gibson pickguard generally does fit well. The problem is paying for the $3,000 guitar attached to it.

Offline abdef

• View Profile
J-7
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 02:29:36 PM »
It turns out that this is the not the guitar that I thought it was going to be. The company support sucks and the customer support is not all it is supposed to be. Never again!!

Offline abdef

• View Profile
J-7
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 07:54:38 PM »
Please read other J-7 post.

Offline abdef

• View Profile
J-7
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 07:56:54 PM »
See factory shipped guitars