Username: Password:

Author Topic: Washburn D11  (Read 3928 times)

Offline Hogie_gt

• View Profile
Washburn D11
« on: September 01, 2011, 07:17:52 PM »
I have a D11 that I bought several years ago. I think it is a beautiful looking guitar. I have collected several guitars now and about 4 years ago I gave the D11 to my little brother hoping to get him playing again. He never did start playing again and he gave me back the D11 about a month ago. I want to do a few things to see if I can make this guitar sound a bit better. I have a D52SW and the sound of this guitar spoils me. The D11 just does not sound as nice. Plus I own 4 Martins so, I am really spoiled.

Now, this D11 is just so pretty that I hate to part with it if I can improve the sound. I have already put ebony bridge pins in it. I wonder if changing the saddle and nut to bone will improve the sound? Has anybody else done this to a D11?

[/img]

The D52SW is one of my favorite guitars and I will reach for it before I will most of my Martins. I only wish I had bought a D56SW as well! Now these Woodcraft Series guitars are discontinued. That D52 turns heads when I play it! Altho, I do have a few Martin snob friends who turn their nose to it......
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 07:27:35 PM by Hogie_gt »

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Washburn D11
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 08:02:03 PM »
I have, to two D10's.One Bubbinga, and one Rosewood, and one regular. Bone nut and saddle,Taylor Ebony bridge pins, Elixer polyweb's strings. Sound like whole new guitars in a way. So if this helped mine it should help yours.Is the D11, solid top and lam, back and sides? Tom.[:)]

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Washburn D11
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 08:28:05 PM »
http://forums.washburn.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10333&SearchTerms=D11  Here is a 2007 post from Pike. P.S. sorry looking for post on PT3 value,but cant go wrong having to much info.  Tom[:I]
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 08:32:07 PM by t.y. »

Offline Quinn Spalpeen

• View Profile
Washburn D11
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 08:05:17 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Hogie_gt

Plus I own 4 Martins so, I am really spoiled.

And you are concerned about making a $300 guitar sound better?  If you are going to use the Martins as a touchstone, you'll not be able to improve the sound spending any amount of money, it will always be a $300 guitar.

($300 guitar is being generous, I think I remember that they went for $200)

All that being said,  A Tusq or bone saddle will probably improve the sound sound some little bit.  The nut, regardless of material, not so much, if any. There's not much else you can do to it to alter or improve the sound.  Bridge pins?  Most Martin players prefer the original plastic Martin pins. They don't have much to do with the sound if they are fitted properly. That's an aesthetic thing.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 08:06:10 AM by Quinn Spalpeen »
Nothing under the sun is new Watson. .... Sherlock Holmes

Washburn F10S (From Funky Munky, no G.C. stuff for me.)
Martin 00-15
Martin 000-28
Trinity College Bouzouki
Raul Emiliani Model 928 (Stradivari model)
Scott Cao STV-950 (Hellier model)
Eastman Master Model 905 (Stradivari model)
Roland F-110

Offline Hogie_gt

• View Profile
Washburn D11
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 01:44:17 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Quinn Spalpeen

quote:

Plus I own 4 Martins so, I am really spoiled.

And you are concerned about making a $300 guitar sound better?  If you are going to use the Martins as a touchstone, you'll not be able to improve the sound spending any amount of money, it will always be a $300 guitar.

($300 guitar is being generous, I think I remember that they went for $200)

All that being said,  A Tusq or bone saddle will probably improve the sound sound some little bit.  The nut, regardless of material, not so much, if any. There's not much else you can do to it to alter or improve the sound.  Bridge pins?  Most Martin players prefer the original plastic Martin pins. They don't have much to do with the sound if they are fitted properly. That's an aesthetic thing.

Well, the D52SW was a $600 guitar and I will put it up against my Martins anytime! It plays and sounds just as nice as the D35 I have which cost close to $2300. Just not quite as rich of a sound. But, still very close.

I put bone pins in my Martins that had plastic ones. My D15 got both a bone nut and a bone saddle along with ebony pins. My DSR also got bone nut and saddle as well as bone pins. This improved both. I also put bone nut and saddle on the D52SW as well as ebony pins. This made it REALLY sound great!

I ask about the D11 to see if anybody else has had good results from doing this upgrade. In other words, is it worth the expense. All of my other guitars are solid woods. I do know that this is a plywood guitar and that it does not have a solid top. So, I ask to see if anybody else has done this upgrade before I go and spend the effort. I bought this guitar while still on my journey into learning to play. I have come a LONG way and have moved up to some higher grades.

Yes, I LOVE my Martins. BUT, I also LOVE my Washburn D52SW and will NEVER get rid of it. It has just as much soul as my Martins.

The D11 would make a nice campfire guitar if i can improve the sound some. I know I cant make it compare to my high end Martins. I just want to make it sound better.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 02:17:33 PM by Hogie_gt »

Offline Quinn Spalpeen

• View Profile
Washburn D11
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 11:47:58 PM »
Bone saddle: May improve the sound $10 bucks, go for it.

Bone nut: Won't change the sound,, but if you must, and can't do it yourself, $35 to $50.

Bone bridge pins:  Won't change the sound if they are fitted properly, $20 to $35.

Campfire guitar: Why bother, it's not like you are in an acoustically controlled environment.... it will never sound anything like the D52SW.

It's an all laminate $200 guitar,,, it is what it is. Upgrade the saddle, it doesn't cost much and will probably improve the sound, somewhat.  Nut and bridge pins won't affect the sound, that's an aesthetic thing, for a camp fire guitar why spend the money?

Digital Piano
Marshall AS50D
Fender Super Champ XD

Martin 00-15
Martin 000-28
Trinity College Bouzouki
Roland F-110

Offline Hogie_gt

• View Profile
Washburn D11
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 08:02:17 AM »
As to whether the nut and pins affect the sound, you can get varied opinions on that......Just go to the unofficial Martin Guitar Forum and read about that......

Well, maybe the D11 will become a wall hanger.....it is a pretty looking guitar. If it aint pleasing to my ear, I wont play it....

I guess I will forgo the time and expense. Save my money and put it towards the next guitar purchase. Upward and onward!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 08:10:07 AM by Hogie_gt »

Offline Quinn Spalpeen

• View Profile
Washburn D11
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 09:55:10 AM »
quote:

As to whether the nut and pins affect the sound, you can get varied opinions on that......Just go to the unofficial Martin Guitar Forum and read about that......

You can go to any forum to get varied opinions about that, even this one.  The vibrating portion of the string, what does it rest on?  The saddle and the fret.  What transmits the vibration to the rest of the guitar?  The saddle and the fret.  Strange concept, eh?  Unless you're playing only open strings, the nut does not come into play.  Unless they are not fitted properly, the bridge pins don't either. Digital Piano
Marshall AS50D
Fender Super Champ XD

Martin 00-15
Martin 000-28
Trinity College Bouzouki
Roland F-110

Offline Gitfiddle

• View Profile
Washburn D11
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 08:28:47 PM »
A Tusq saddle will double the sound (I have put them in about 4 of my guitars -- the Gibson came with it and the Martin has bone) BUT as someone above said that does not make it a Martin.   I do not care about price as an indicator of value .. but your ear.  A D10 will sound like a D10 (I like it) .. but I take mine where I would never take the Gibson or the Martin... and I like the sound.  I use my D10 for jazz solos as well as C-W and folk.  It has a nice (thin) fret board and the action is pretty low (if adjusted right).  The tone is good.  I use LIGHT .. Martin SP4100 (Phosphur bronze)  some like D'Addario ) Martin uses medium on my D-42 but I avoid that on the D10).   Beyond Tusq and your favorite light strings .. the D10 has a nice tone (in my opinion) from peaceful Greensleeves or Wayfarin Stranger to jazzy Sentimental Journey or Georgia on my Mind.  Camp fires, song circles, schools or family gatherings, picnics, folk music fests .. it's great.  I played my D10 during the  now infamous So.Cal blackout last month.  No TV .. candles and a D10.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 08:32:03 PM by Gitfiddle »

Offline Pike

• View Profile
Washburn D11
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 09:16:36 PM »
Right on Gitfiddle, D10's rock...

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Washburn D11
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 12:37:23 PM »
quote:

I guess I will forgo the time and expense. Save my money and put it towards the next guitar purchase. Upward and onward!

I wouldn't give up quite yet, hoagie....we're all pretty much in agreement around here that the saddle will make a difference.  As for the nut, well, I would say there are instances in which it will make a difference.  For example, how advanced are your playing skills?  Do you play with first position chords or are you advanced enough that you're spending most of your time at or beyond the 5th fret?  If you're a fan of the cowboy chords, as I call the first position chords, well, I believe that a bone nut will add some definition to the music, as the bone will more efficiently transmit the vibrations of the open strings to the neck, which will add some to the vibration of the body of the guitar.  How significant will the difference be?  Well, you're right, that's an issue of opinion, but I always replace the saddle and nut at the same time with the same material.  One of the most common mod's for electric guitar players, particularly our semi-hollow body jazz boxes, is to replace the nut with bone.  If it didn't make any difference, it would not be so common, now, would it?

quote:

Well, maybe the D11 will become a wall hanger.....it is a pretty looking guitar. If it aint pleasing to my ear, I wont play it....

Even if you decide not to do the nut mod, don't give up on the guitar yet.  The saddle mod would make a bit of difference and it's not only the least expensive of the mods, it's the easiest to do for yourself.  Try it and see if it makes the guitar adequate for a campfire guitar.  I had an Epi AJ100, an all-lam guitar, that made a great campfire guitar, then I gave it to an aspiring musician who needed a better guitar than he had.  I then pressed my WD32S into use as a campfire guit, then gave it away as a graduation gift to a friend's son.  That left me in the position where the only guits I owned were all-solid wood, and I wasn't ready to subject them to the indignities of the campfire/camping regimen, so I bought an inexpensive (under $200)solid cedar top/laminate sides/back Washburn WMJ11S with the intention of using it as a campfire guitar....it turned out to be such a great guitar that I'm now looking for a DIFFERENT decent campfire guitar.  For that, I really like an all-lam guit, I mean, somebody loses control of their beer bottle and it falls against the guit, no problem....they lose their footing and knock it over, no problem...it's hard to beat an all-lam guit for a campfire guitar, and the sound CAN be improved with some minor mods!!

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, C124SW, and WMJ 11S
Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 12:38:23 PM by YerDugliness »
YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL 8) !!
Back to work & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, C124SWK, WMJ11S, WMJ21S (2) and WGO26SCE
Other fine acoustics: Breedlove custom 000 Revival, Darren Hippner #506 Hauser, Takamini 2005 LTD, Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Washburn D11
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 11:41:27 AM »
I have a Indiana Chief, It was my first guitar I bought since started practicing again. I took the New Bone saddle from my D10 and put it on it, and it made a difference that even I a newbie can tell. also put on Ernie Ball med, lights, Earthwood, 80/20 bronze alloy,.12-54. Not to bad sounding  for a 79.00 guitar. Tom.