Username: Password:

Author Topic: White Washburn EA?? (George Harrison type)  (Read 5576 times)

Offline seltaeb

• View Profile
White Washburn EA?? (George Harrison type)
« on: July 07, 2012, 03:00:50 PM »
Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I was wondering if you could help me find out more information about a guitar I picked up in December 2011. I am a big Beatles fan, and George Harrison has always been my favorite. Years ago, I remember seeing a video of George Harrison playing "Here Comes The Sun" at the 1987 Prince's Trust concert. He and Jeff Lynne were using matching, electric-acoustic Washburn guitars. I had never seen one before, but I liked the way it sounded (and looked) in the video. Here's a screen capture of that video.

Over the years, I casually looked for one of these guitars, but I could never find one. Various Washburns would show up on eBay, but they were never the white version. They were always natural, blue, or black. Finally, in December 2011, while browsing my local craigslist, I saw someone advertising a Washburn "Woodstock EA20." I opened the ad and discovered that it was a white guitar. I knew that Washburn changed their EQ knobs/setup sometime in the late 80s or early 90s (because I had seen the EQ sliders on mid 90s models), so I was pleased to see that this guitar had the 2 EQ knobs on the upper bout, just like George's.

I went to buy the guitar that morning. Ironically, that was December 10, 2011, a Saturday. Later that day, I drove up to LA and went to the George Harrison Exhibit at the Grammy Museum. Kind of a happy coincidence :).

Anyways, here are pictures of the guitar:

Here is a photo of 2 guitar picks on top of the guitar so you can see how the finish has faded from white to a creamy-ish white.

Why is the D saddle backwards compared to the others?

The guitar plays pretty well. The only problem is that when plugged in, the D string is not as loud as the rest, and I'm not sure why. I do notice that the D string's saddle is facing the opposite way than the remaining 5 strings, but I don't know if that matters.

I'm curious to know what year this guitar was produced, and what they are worth now.

Thanks!

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
Re: White Washburn EA?? (George Harrison type)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 06:53:34 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  Here is some info on your Woodstock.

EA20 (NEWPORT/WOODSTOCK)
- thin single sharp cutaway thin body, select spruce or mahogany top, oval soundhole, bound body, three-stripe rosette, mahogany back/sides/neck, 14/21-fret rosewood fingerboard with pearl dot inlay, matching headstock with three-per-side Grover diecast tuners, rosewood bridge with pearl dot white pins, acoustic bridge pickup, Equis electonics, available in Black, Tobacco Sunburst, White, Woodstone Blue, Woodstone Brown, or Woodstone Silver finish, mfg. mid 1980s-2000.
Grading 100% Excellent Average
N/A $400 - 475 $250 - 300
Last MSR was $1,000.
In 1992, Woodstone finishes were disc. In 1993, Natural finish was introduced. In 1994, a select spruce/mahogany top replaced regular mahogany and White finish was disc. Until 1994, this guitar was referred to as the Newport. In 1995 only, this guitar was called the Woodstock, which is not to be confused with other Woodstock models (EA40). In 1996, Equis Gold electronics replaced Equis II. In 2000, Equis Plus electronics replaced Equis Gold.

Re: the saddle.  The different angles of the "chicklet" like pieces are for intonation.  Each string needs to be a specific length or the guitar will not play in tune at all positions on the fretboard.  Here is some more detailed info on intonation:

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/repair/acoustic-guitar/intonation.php

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 04:28:08 PM »
Welcome. Nice guitar, I have been looking for over a year now for one, but can not find any except on line.   Tom.   :)

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 07:04:05 AM »
Tom, look for a new EA10S. It's a very good guitar. I've had a EA40(Woodstock), and a couple of EA20S's, and the EA10S is as good as any of them. I bought it new in at my local dealers for $399.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 12:37:15 PM »
I wish the local dealers here would stock somthing besides O.S.  Tom.   :)

Offline seltaeb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 03:33:08 PM »
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I am pretty sure this guitar is a 1985-1986 model. It depends on how you make out the first digit of the serial number in that shot I posted. I think it's a '6' but I can't tell for sure.

I am thinking about getting an oval-shaped feedback buster for this guitar. That might help the guitar retain some more bass response when playing live in a mix. I probably should also get the pickup checked out. I don't know why the D string isn't as audible as all the others.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 05:16:35 PM »
I agree, probably a 6. Have you tried turning the chicklet around?  Maybe it is sitting wrong. Have you been able to find a picture of a different guitars saddle?  hows your transducer laying, is it even, is there anything blocking the D saddle?  If thats all good, might be the string.  Hope you get it working, because that is a fine guitar. And looks well taken care of.    Tom.   :)

Offline seltaeb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 05:24:03 PM »
Hi Tom, thanks :)

I haven't changed the strings on the guitar since the day I bought it. I don't have any extra acoustic string packs lying around either, so I need to go get some. Maybe I should do that soon. I don't even know what a transducer is, so you might have to help me with that :).

And yes, I think this is a neat little guitar. It doesn't sound the best when played acoustically (not like a D28, anyway), but it does the live mix thing very well, and that's what it was designed for :). It's nice that it's not a very deep body, too, because it is very comfortable and light to play.

The only thing I wish is that it was a little more white. It has definitely faded in its 26 years of life, but that's what happens! Especially to white guitars.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 05:45:32 PM »
 To me the fade is desirable.  The wire under your saddle's is were the sound comes from, unless yours is different?   I had a Guild GAD30E, it was thin bodied <?,    Just could not stand the wide neck,  or hard strumming.  Thats why I want a Festival, thin body.  I have five different types of D10's. a black Fender Squire, and a Martin LX1.  Tom.   :)

Offline seltaeb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 05:50:59 PM »
To me the fade is desirable.  The wire under your saddle's is were the sound comes from, unless yours is different?   I had a Guild GAD30E, it was thin bodied <?,    Just could not stand the wide neck,  or hard strumming.  Thats why I want a Festival, thin body.  I have five different types of D10's. a black Fender Squire, and a Martin LX1.  Tom.   :)

Yeah, the fade looks nice in person. You actually can't really tell it's faded unless you put it next to something truly white, like that guitar pick I put on top of it.  :D You know that color that Mini Cooper makes that is a creamy white? It's almost exactly like that color. This one:

The guitar looks exactly like that.

Speaking of Guild, I have a 1986 Guild D212 Westerly. It's just like Tom Petty's. Actually, here's a picture of them together.

You're right, the sound comes from under the saddles. There's a little black bar underneath the saddles, and I was told that's where the pickup is.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 06:30:02 PM »
Wow don't no which is nicer.  LOL.   Tom.   :)

Offline seltaeb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 06:33:00 PM »
I just got that Guild D212 in March. I shouldn't have bought it at the time, but I couldn't resist. I love 12-strings. I can't wait to put an LR Baggs M1 pickup in that guitar when I can afford it.

Here's a couple more...

George Harrison, anyone? ;)

Here they are at rehearsal:

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 08:56:05 PM »
Them are some nice looking HB.   Tom.   :)

Offline philpm

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 10:24:35 PM »
I just got that Guild D212 in March. I shouldn't have bought it at the time, but I couldn't resist. I love 12-strings. I can't wait to put an LR Baggs M1 pickup in that guitar when I can afford it.

Here's a couple more...

George Harrison, anyone? ;)

Here they are at rehearsal:

Uh, if you ever decide you don't want that Rick anymore . . . :D   That's my dream guitar right there.  Nice looking collection.

Phil
On and off newbie player for about 20 years.

'08 Washburn WD-114SK (currently residing in Denver)
'10 Washburn WMJ11S
'09 Cherry Epiphone Dot
'13 Epiphone Thunderbird IV

Offline seltaeb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 02:30:21 PM »
Hi! I have an update on this. I was able to fix the D string problem. I had to change the strings on the guitar this weekend, so I took the opportunity to perform some other maintenance on the guitar. I applied bore oil to the rosewood fretboard, took out the bridge, flipped around the D saddle, then made sure that all saddles were sitting flush at the bottom of the bridge. I did that to ensure that each saddle was making contact with the transducer. Then I changed the 9V battery, even though I don't think I needed to.

Once all was said and done, I plugged in the guitar and all strings are 100% volume. :) Yes! A small victory, but a good one nonetheless.

Here are some pictures: