Username: Password:

Author Topic: MECURY SERIES Bass Guitar  (Read 6312 times)

Offline MaxDyer05

• View Profile
MECURY SERIES Bass Guitar
« on: February 03, 2006, 08:08:23 AM »
I need some help about finding what the release date of this particular guitar is, and what the retail pricing might be (or a website that'll tell me how much its worth).
It is an Original Mercury Series bass guitar, and it is white. I have pictures of it, so just click on the link below...
I would very much appreciate it if anyone could reply. The model number of this guitar is MB-2
and its serial number is #9302721

http://www.freeimghosting.com/images/maxdyer05/p1138977097402.jpg
Joshua Max Dyer
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 09:22:32 AM by MaxDyer05 »
Joshua Max Dyer

Offline copperheadedjeb

• View Profile
    • http://www.copperheadsigns.com
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 12:17:49 PM »
you have a 1993 model MB2

-------------------------------
Washburn MB2, Pacific Blue Rain
Washburn XB900, NM with Basslines MM
Washburn Force 2 Electric
Would love an RB2502 with  Carribean Blue finish
Washburn MB2, Pacific Blue Rain
Washburn XB900, NM with Basslines MM
Washburn XB600, transparent red
Washburn Force 2 Electric
Would love an RB2502 with  Carribean Blue finish

Offline n/a

• deleted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 02:04:11 AM »
Right, copper! Its a 1993 MB-2 and originally sold for $469.90(the MB-4 added a j-style p/u in bridge position and sold for $549.90). The Mercury series was THE working series of Washburn at the time and were, IMHO, good, solid basses. Unfortunately not a lot of purchasing action on them and, as a guess, if you have the case with it, you might get $300 for it.  Really though, unless you REALLY need the money and are prepared to maybe take a little less for it, I would suggest you keep it.  Its a good bass

Offline n/a

• deleted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 02:06:06 AM »
Hey I just re-looked at the picture--you have the original case with it don't you!  Cool!!!!!

Offline Wacreetrav

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 11:21:30 AM »
Whats up guys? I've been playing bass since I was 12 and I'm a jazz bassist and teacher. I bought a MB-4 Fretless on ebay about a year ago. Let me tell you, this bass is freakin amazing! It has a P pickup on the neck and a J at the bridge. It also has a switch to contol which pickup you want. You can go from a great punch from the P pickup or you can get that nice solid tone for jazz on the J pickup. If you mess with the controls on the bass and the amp your playing out of, you can make this bass sound like a million bucks! It plays AMAZING! It plays sooooooooo smooth with that great jazz bass neck. I have the action nice n' low on it with some flatwounds. It is the best fretless I have ever played. I used to own a warwick fretless. It was built great and it sounded pretty good, but it weighed 5000 lbs and the neck was like a baseball bat. I'm sure some people would beg to differ, but until you play one of these basses and get the sound and feel that fits you just right, you'll know what everyone on this discussion is talking about. Find one for yourself and hold on to it. I know I am. Later!

Offline crimhead01

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 08:01:01 AM »
THIS ENTRY IS ON THE MB-8 MODEL FROM THE MERCURY SERIES

Hello everyone,
I'm a newbie to this forum and also to Washburn instruments since they are a bit difficult to get hold of over here in Germany. However, not even a week ago I obtained a used Washburn Bass which I am very happy about and on which I'd like to find out more using this forum.
The instrument is from the Mercury Series, model number MB-8. It has the following serial number: 9302112. Technical specifications are as follows: golden machine heads, potentiometer knobs and massive bridge all made by Washburn, transparent black finish, passive Status soapbar humbucking pickups + 2-Band active circuitry by the same manufacturer.

1) I suspect that this was the default setup at the time this bass was released. Is that correct?
2) The bass was released in 1993. How many items were in this series and how long was it in production? I've heard that this was the final Wasburn designed series of bass guitars featuring Status electronics and pickups.
3) Does anybody know WHERE this series was actually produced. My instrument bears no indication (Made in Korea or so) of this. Not even inside the electronics compartment. I suspect the original lacquer was taken off the neck and they kept nothing but the serial number and the colour chart marker.
4) The body wood could be maple, but since mine has a transparent black finish I can hardly verify this. Moreover, neither does the bass sound too harsh towards the treble range nor does it weigh too much - both is often associated with maple.
5) The headstock angle and glued-on construction is a little problematic when it comes to finding a suitable hardcase. Did this series originally come out with its own cases? If so, is there any chance of still obtaining one?
6) The bass is still in very good shape. Apart from a few minor scratches on the surface and patina on the golden hardware this bass does not look like being 14 years old. I'm just curious: How much would you approximately rate this instrument? As far as I know the prices for these instruments when they came out were somewhere in the well-equipped workhorse range, i.e. $700-$800.

Thanks for reading this and for your input.

Offline crimhead01

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 09:25:31 AM »
Hello Washburn-basspeople,
Coincidentelly, I just had a look at some PDF-charts in Washburn's FAQ-section and I already found out a few  facts on the above mentioned Washburn MB-8 bass guitar which I'd like to share:
The MB-8 was only produced in 1992 and 1993 following the XS-series and preceding the Bantam series which both included similiarly priced models ($800) with humbucking pickups by Status. The technical specifications as described above were default. However, the body wood is actually ALDER with a quilt maple top (unlike the XS series which supposedly was solid alder). That explains the sound and weight. The maple neck used to have acrylic finish, which I guess was once taken off my bass guitar.

Which leaves me with: Where was this bass guitar made? How many items did this series approx. include? Approximate worth today? Suitcases still available (since my heavy standard case does not fit the headstock angle)?

To any MB-8 owners: What's your experience regaring this bass? Playing styles, line ups, strings(!!). Coming from an Asian PeeJay beginners bass, this is my first solid and good instruzment but also my first active bass guitar. I use it on HARTKE amps which seems to go well with a jazzy feel to the tone. Still, the Washburn is sonically rather different especially to the P-pickup of my old bass. Therefore I'd like to get to know my new flatmate a little better. I got it from EBAY the other day and I had not even paid for it when I had emails coming in congratulating on this purchase. Quite a story!

Thanks for reading this and for your input.