Username: Password:

Author Topic: Sammy Hagar guitar  (Read 2613 times)

Offline lrjd25

• View Profile
Sammy Hagar guitar
« on: March 15, 2006, 08:52:02 PM »
Hi, I`m wondering if anyone knows what the guitar is that Sammy Hagar is playing on the Van Halen Live Right Here Right Now dvd during the song Eagles Fly. I was told that it`s a Washburn but not sure. It looks like it might be. It`s really thin like an electric, but looks like an acoustic. I`d like to have one if I can find out what model it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline lrjd25

• View Profile
Sammy Hagar guitar
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 03:00:34 PM »
Thanks for your reply wingsdad, but thats not it. This guitar has a sound hole with only 2 knobs, I assume a volume and tone. The guitar is very thin, it looks like a solid body, like an electric.

Offline atlantadallasguitargirl

• View Profile
Sammy Hagar guitar
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 11:11:03 AM »
Hmmm...I suppose I'm the only person that knows the answer to this other than the folks at Washburn and the guy working at the music store that day.
The yellow solid body (with fake soundhole) guitar that Sammy played in that video was a prototype Washburn that never made it into mass-production.  The Washburn sales rep. had carried it around with him for three days while he was deciding whether to keep it for himself or not. Ultimately, he left it at a music store just off the Lawerenceville Highway in Atlanta, where I headed that day (on my day off from work) to see the new evh guitars.  The guitar had a devil's pitchfork looking emblem on the headstock, which I said I didn't care for.  Sammy didn't like it either and must have painted over it.  If you adjust the black levels on your monitor, you can kind of make it out.  I didn't recognise Sammy that day, so I'm sorry for what I said, Sam.  My friend Kelly made me listen to three lock box til I was ready to chunk it out the window of her truck (back in high school).  Yes, you were very good with Van Halen.  By the way, next time you reach around a girl to grab a guitar before she can, you might consider letting her have it for $300 and having Washburn make you your own.  Nice Porche you were driving that day...I suppose.
Anyhow - that guitar is what he based the Washburn RR series off of.
I really wish he would have made one like that guitar.  The RR100, RR150, RR200, and RR300 were all different.  It is a beatiful guitar.  I loved the yellow.  I wanna say it was made out of Korina because I it was a wood name that I had not heard of at that time.  It was solid--no ribs--and it had a piezo pickup under the bridge.  They had made it extra large to compensate for the solid body, and sang it did.  It sounded like a million bucks with all kinds of sustain.  Unfortunately, I think it was probably the super large size that kept those guitars from selling any better than they did (that and the stupid off-set fret markers--imo).  If you guys at Washburn read this, please consider mass-producing the yellow prototype, PLEASE!   I especially loved that it had two knobs instead of the flat pre-amp (or whatever you call it) that eveyone puts into the side of acoustic/electrics.
Funny thing is, I ran into Eddie twice in two different music stores(once in Atlanta and once in Dallas) and failed to recognize him as well--my all-time favorite musician--go figure.  So help me, I lead a Forrest-Gump-like existance.  If I recognize myself in the mirror every morning, I figure I'm doing well.

I hope this helps - good luck.

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
Sammy Hagar guitar
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 01:28:35 PM »
It's probably not the guitar you're talking about, but there is a picture of Sammy playing one of the solid body acoustics on page 169 of Teagles book. It has Red Rocker inlaid in the fretboard.