Username: Password:

Author Topic: D10n vs D10s  (Read 2323 times)

Offline Rostock

• View Profile
D10n vs D10s
« on: July 23, 2006, 09:19:28 AM »
Hi, I'm looking to get a second-hand entry level guitar that I can take on holiday without worrying too much about it getting damaged.

I've come across some similar Washburns... now the main question is what is the difference between D10s and D10n? I know the D10n is older, but is there any real difference? And what about the D11?

Thanks

Offline drake

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/shemiyaza
D10n vs D10s
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 10:11:59 AM »
Hi Rostock,
 The one you want to address this to is Toaster 20. He is a really cool guy who is also a Washburn dealer.

There are also a lot of others on this board that can help as well. I'm not positive about my answer so I don't want to stick my foot in my mouth later. [;)]

Someone should be able to help you soon. If noy quick enough just hit up Toaster 20.www.dfrequency.com
www.myspace.com/d_frequency
www.dream-logic.com
www.myspace.com/shemiyaza
Electronic Press Kit
www.dream-logic.com/epk
ANOTHER PROUD MEMBER OF THE CUMBERLAND
BRIGADE!
~drake~

Offline Rostock

• View Profile
D10n vs D10s
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 11:13:27 AM »
I think I've pretty much got it now. Spent ages searching the net but didn't think to search this forum...

Ok the difference is basically:
D10s - Solid Spruce top
D10n - Laminated top
D11 - Laminated Ash top

I know there's more to it than that, but I think that's the main difference.

Offline ship of fools

• View Profile
D10n vs D10s
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 02:30:01 PM »
luvmyshiner is pretty darn close OK thats about the only real difference for the question you are asking,if you dont mind banging your guitar I would go with the D10N,the D10S is a very good starter guitar and it will last for a life time of enjoyable playing,enjoy whichever way you go.louis
Musician, Numismatic,
Retired and living the good life

Offline Rostock

• View Profile
D10n vs D10s
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 04:04:44 PM »
Ok I've gone for the D10n because it's cheaper ($78 or $145) compared to the D10s ($130 or $240) and is more durable, because I'm taking it to a festival so a spruce top would probably end up getting warped or cracked. This should do me a while until I get better with accoustics. Then I'll hopefully be able to afford a Takamine because I really like the feel and sound of them.

Thanks for your help!

Offline Rostock

• View Profile
D10n vs D10s
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 04:17:09 PM »
Prices seem to be different here (England). No pawn shops around and not many second-hand guitars about either. Everyone just sells all their stuff on ebay so there are alot more customers so the prices are higher! Not seen a D10s for much less than $130 either.

Time and money really came into this decision though. I'm going away soon so if I leave it too late waiting for something to come up on ebay then I'm not gona get it in time. Also I'm a student so low on moneys anyway, and as it is I'm barely going to make it through the month so what can seem like a small difference can suddenly become a lot bigger!

Offline Rostock

• View Profile
D10n vs D10s
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 04:36:01 PM »
Thats right! Can't impress the ladees with my skills if I haven't got a guitar to show off with!

Is just a temp solution though. Hopefully I'll replace it well before it needs replacing. The guy who's selling it says he's not used it much anyways. Next I wana get something that'll keep its value too. My dad bought a Washburn about 20 years ago second-hand for $350... he recently got it valued at over $1000! Not bad!

Offline Incomplete

• View Profile
D10n vs D10s
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 02:05:59 PM »
In my opinion the solid spruce top sounds so much better than the laminate top that the only way I would buy the laminate top is if I could not pay for the solid top. Just my opinion.

whatever you get enjoy the guitar.

Offline Harmonycat

• View Profile
D10n vs D10s
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 03:59:38 PM »
I own only one laminate top guitar.....It is my campfire/play it in sun or sand beach beater/too much booze/great firewood if broken, guitar.

I originaly bought a WD32SW Blemish as a beater.....The first campfire session told me that the heat of the fire and sparked cinders had me watching the guitar all night and feeling the temperature of the wood.

Pretty torturous stuff.....The WD32SW is a much too good solid wood guitar, to be subjected to that. I just like the guitar too much to have it crack from drying out played at a campfire!

So I bought a Mint Hondo H-18 (Martin D-18 copy), Korean made, all laminate guitar for $75.00 CDN ($65.00 US). They are about $200 CDN new. It is obviously built in the same factory as those Yamaha FD01 and F-310 guitars. Fret board,top,back,sides,construction and stain are all the same.

Plywood Guitars do have a place....Cheap, and less prone to temperature variation, drying out, and dinging,with no worries![8D]
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 04:05:54 PM by Harmonycat »
May You be in Heaven Half an Hour, before the Devil knows your Dead.

Offline Scoutll

• View Profile
D10n vs D10s
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 08:47:18 PM »
I own a D11 and I can tell you it's a tank. You won't have to worry too much about it being fragile. It is a bit heavy though, when  compared to a D10S.

Most of my stuff:
OS-OE30DL
D21SZ
D11DBR
F10S
Hohner HF-75    
Hohner HC-30
Kona K1E
Rogue HB-12
Indiana TelCity Deluxe
SX PST-SC
'68 Checkmate 5 banjo