Username: Password:

Author Topic: Dating vintage Washburns  (Read 1983 times)

Offline davids harp

• View Profile
Dating vintage Washburns
« on: June 27, 2007, 09:21:48 PM »
Hello everybody, I am new on this forum.  I am sure this question has been asked before, but I don't know where to find it.  Where do I find information on how to date a vintage Washburn parlor guitar, maybe from 1900 or so?  It has various numbers on it, and writings stamped on the inside.  What to do?  Thank you.
d

Offline Pike

• View Profile
Dating vintage Washburns
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 09:25:54 PM »
Hi d, welcome to the forum. Some pics and the numbers would help. Try this free host for posting pics.  http://photobucket.com/

Offline davids harp

• View Profile
Dating vintage Washburns
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 11:37:46 PM »
quote:
Some pics and the numbers would help.

Okay, I'll try.  First, this is a parlor-sized guitar, sharing various dimensions with the Martin size 1 and size 0, and it fits well into an Elderly 0 case.  The top has a modified ladder bracing, i.e. a series of horizontal braces, some slightly angled.  The top wood is very thin.

On to pics.  First is full-length front.

Next, the back, and yeah, some of you did see this valentine last week on eBay.  Now you know who bought it [;)]:

Here's the top of the headstock, with some numbers:

And here's everything from the inside.  I hope you can tell me what all this means:

The neck is inlaid only on frets 7, 9, and 12, with no side dots:

Here's a closeup of 12:

Here's a detail of the edge binding, rosette, and I think that's Adirondack (Red) Spruce:

And I'll close with a tuner detail:

So, what is it? [:)]
Or, where do I go to find out? [:)]

d

Offline keef

• View Profile
Dating vintage Washburns
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 03:15:09 AM »
Style 223, one size larger than the 123, a mid priced Washburn model.

The '1897 style' stamps on prewar Washburns are usually no indication of the actual year of manufacture, but the rare 1896 stamp DOES indicate that the guitar was made in/around 1896.

Offline millenium

• View Profile
Dating vintage Washburns
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 07:42:37 AM »
The stamp sticker inside the body says that the warranty is good for one year if not MUTILATED.... [:D][:D][:D] Lolll[:0]
yan
millenium
ANOTHER PROUD MEMBER OF THE MILLENIUM BRIGADE

Offline davids harp

• View Profile
Dating vintage Washburns
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 07:52:06 AM »
Gee guys, all of four hours from query to answer.  What kept you? [;)]

Which is of course to say thank you.  It's a perfect example of exactly what a web forum can do, i.e. make pooled knowledge available almost instantly.  Kudos.

Pike, are you and keef the go-to guys around here as far as the older Washburns are concerned?

And Yan, yeah I was thinking of sending it back to get those top cracks re-repaired, but then I realized I'm a little late. [:D]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 07:54:49 AM by davids harp »
d